Test Results. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian14

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been running my 120gallon tank for about a week now I just tested the water. Ammonia - barely .2 ppm Nitrite - 0 ppm Nitrate - 5 ppm and the ph was 7.6
What does this say about my tank? Am I almost done my cycle or what?

A week seems very fast to fully cycle. Did you use seeding material like old filter material from a cycled tank to accelerate the cycle process? Are you using pure ammonia to cycle the tank or doing a fish-in cycle? Good source for info for cycling a tank. The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice
long story short I bought 5 little feeder fish a week ago for a fish in another tank. I only put one in the other tank and just decided to stick the other 4 in the new tank. I had been putting plant branches of the other tank into the new one and always putting in fish food. It has that fishy smell to it now.

With four feeder fish in a 100+g tank for only a week, it's unlikely the tank is cycled yet as there has not been sufficient ammonia to begin the process. I would move the feeders and dose 4ppm of ammonia and see how your tank handles it in 24hrs. Any amount of ammonia or nitrite after 24hrs indicates your tank is still in the cycling process.

You can get pure ammonia from Ace Hardware, it's called janitorial ammonia. It would be faster than having just a couple feeder fish in such a large tank.

With four feeder fish in a 100+g tank for only a week, it's unlikely the tank is cycled yet as there has not been sufficient ammonia to begin the process. I would move the feeders and dose 4ppm of ammonia and see how your tank handles it in 24hrs. Any amount of ammonia or nitrite after 24hrs indicates your tank is still in the cycling process.
I tested again this morning. Got the same ammonia level of about .2. Still no nitrites. And nitrates went up to about 10

Back
Top Bottom