Test Results on New 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TC_Beats

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My tank is 4 weeks along in a "fish" cycle. Friend of mine told me to put (2) regular goldfish in the tank for around a month and everything should cycle. This guy used to own a fish store, so I trusted what he said . . . and THEN I read the "fishless cycle" article. Anyway, here's where I'm at.
Got an API FW Master Test Kit - and these are my results:
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 10.0

I'm going to give the (2) goldfish to a friend and what I really want is a tropical tank with some Neon and Flame Tetra's (4 ea), Pitbull Pleco, a Snail and an African Dwarf frog. Not going for anything too big - may even have a live plant or two, but I'll go artificial for now. And yes, I'll add them slowly.

What's my next step given my test readings? Seems like I need to get the PH and Nirtrite levels down, right? What's the best way to do that? Remove goldfish then use chemicals? :confused:

Thanks - I really like this forum.

BTW, the goldfish are doing great - very active and lively and no probs at all.

Attachments

• AQ_01.jpg
    AQ_01.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 63
You're almost there. Once you start seeing Nitrates and the Ammonia goes to 0 it's almost time to party..
Poor Fish. 1 Nitrite is too much. Do a PWC 50% to bring Nitrites below 0.5PPM. Change only the water. DO NOT Gravel Vac or change your Filter Media. Also, don't forget to use Dechlor. Treat for the tank volume and not just the water you're replacing.
Ex: Treat for 10Gal even if you're only replacing 5Gal of water.

Welcome to AA

Last edited:
As for your PH, don't worry about it. Don't use chemicals to get any levels down or up... It does more harm than good. Let nature take care of the PH. A "Stable" PH is more important than a PH that swings. 7.6 Is not bad.

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the advice - I appreciate it. (y)
Did the 50% water change like you said. Will take do another test later tonight and will post the results.

looking good, but as far as your stocking list, i would change a few things. i don't know much about them but i believe dwarf african frogs are best in species tanks and don't mix well with fish. as far as tetras go, they will be more comfortable (and look much better) in a bigger group of their own kind. in stead of getting 4 of each of two kinds, go for 8 of one kind and they will all school together. i myself have a pitbull pleco in my 20H tank, and i can say that as he has no buddies (no other pitbulls) he doesn't seem very happy and hides pretty much all the time (even at night now). pitbull plecos are much happier in small groups and are much more fun to watch. as 10 gallons is pretty small, a group of 3 pitbull plecos will be pretty heavy on your bioload, so you may want to think about getting a small group of otos instead or a small pleco (like a bristlenose) that would be better on it's own.

My tank is 4 weeks along in a "fish" cycle. Friend of mine told me to put (2) regular goldfish in the tank for around a month and everything should cycle. This guy used to own a fish store, so I trusted what he said . . . and THEN I read the "fishless cycle" article. Anyway, here's where I'm at.
Got an API FW Master Test Kit - and these are my results:
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 10.0

Good stuff, you still need to keep up your water changes to keep the nitrite down as thats still going to be harming the fish, but your cycle is well on its way, as soon as your nitrites are 0 then you're done!

I'm going to give the (2) goldfish to a friend and what I really want is a tropical tank with some Neon and Flame Tetra's (4 ea), Pitbull Pleco, a Snail and an African Dwarf frog. Not going for anything too big - may even have a live plant or two, but I'll go artificial for now. And yes, I'll add them slowly.

Nice. Just remember not to leave more than a few hours gap between removing the goldfish and adding some new fish, as if the bacteria in the filter don't have any waste to feed on, they'll start to die and all your good work will be undone.

What's my next step given my test readings? Seems like I need to get the PH and Nirtrite levels down, right? What's the best way to do that? Remove goldfish then use chemicals? :confused:

Nitrite levels will go down on their own as your filter completes its cycle. Your pH is already spot on, don't go changing it.

Tank Update

On Aug 3rd, my readings were:
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1.0
Nitrate - 10.0

Today 8/28, my readings are:
PH - 7.4
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 1.0 (I think, hard to tell, but it's definitely purple)
Nitrate - 10.0

Almost identical, I continue to do 30-50% water changes every 2-3 days. I currently have (5) neons and (2) mystery snails that ALL look great and are actively feeding and acting normal. But I worry about them with the the NitrIte level being high.

How the heck do I get those NitrItes to go down?

When do I change the cartridge filter? Now or continue to wait?

Thanks!

you never need to change the filter cartridge unless it is falling apart. if it gets dirty and clogged up, just pull it out and wash it in some OLD TANK WATER. it's ok to really swish it around good, wring it out, etc, in the old tank water.

the only way to get nitrites to go down is to do a PWC, which i reccommend you do to get the nitrite level down to .25ppm (about a 75% water change) to prevent poisoning your fish. the only way to KEEP nitrites down is to let the cycle complete. so for now, just keep ammonia and nitrite .25ppm or lower, and make sure nitrate doesn't go above 40ppm. so far you are on the right track, just keep up the PWCs and have patience. waiting is the hardest part! :)

I thought the dwarf frogs did good with fish it was just the African clawed frog you had to watch out for?

just wait it out, stop the water changes... you only have about a week or so until you are done

i would suggest a dwarf pleco and maybe a small school of tetras

just wait it out, stop the water changes...

i would NOT suggest he stop water changes. not sure if you missed it, but he is doing a fish-in cycle. you want to be watching your ammonia and nitrite levels and anytime either gets above .25ppm, do a water change to bring it back down. please, don't stop the water changes! :)

Finally!!!!

Well, just tested again and FINALLY, those Nitrites came down to ZERO!!!! :lol:

Kept doing PWC every few days and was waiting to add more fish. Been a long road with some serious patience and waiting. And now, all levels are reading perfect.
PH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20.0

Thanks to the group here for your words of wisdom - glad I listened to you.

Back
Top Bottom