Test strips or liquid test kits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yellowjacket171

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first set up my tank I went and purchased a freshwater master test kit, that was three months ago. Recently I purchased test strips thinking they would be easier to use. I seem to have a problem with the PH strips. The strips always say my PH is only 6.5. So I go and check with the liquid test kit and it says my PH is 7.0, the expiration date says they are good for another year. It seems to be the only test results that are not the same. So which is best? Also, has anyone tried the Ammonia Alert by Seachem? Its a circle sensor that suction cups inside your aquarium, in the water of course, and alerts you of ammonia changes by different colors. I purchased one and am going to try it. I also purchased ammonia strips so will try them and check regularly to see if the sensor or strips are working correctly.

I've used both the strips and the drops...I think the drops would be more accurate, because I have a hard time reading the ph level with the strips...all the colors look the same to me! When my strips run out, I'm going back to drops. If the strips get damp, it can affect the results. Not so with drops...a LOT harder to screw everything up, but it's a little wetter...LOL

I think drops are more acurate, but strips are good in emergences. me personaly neither are any good as i am colour blind LOL.

The strips are much simpler to use but nowhere near as accurate. Strips can be affected by temerature, humidity, etc-- thus affecting the reading you'll receive. Much better to go with the liquid tests and get the proper results from testing.

I have had a problem with my tests also. I bought the dry tabs and have been using them. All my test have come back perfect but the nitrites. So I went to the pest store and they tested my water....I had just tested before I left the house and I only live 10 minutes from the store....they did the test with drops......they ALL came up high! I am wondering at this point who is right and who is wrong. Anyone have any ideas???

I've had nothing but (apparantly) accurate results from the drops. I prefer them, myself. From all I've heard, they're generally more accurate.

Back
Top Bottom