Testing ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacca

Aquarium Advice Freak
When you test with the API kit should your results change if you wait longer than the 5 min to check?

I think the only that will change in time will be the PH test it will turn from green to blue if you wait too long

The reason I asked is because I tested before I did my pwc and after sitting for a few minutes the nitrite test said zero not if it was 5 min or 10 min didn't time but tested after my pwc and it showed nitrites and this time I timed to exactly 5 min.

Time exactly to the instructions. Any more or less and your readings will not be accurate.

"When all else fails, read the instructions." ;)

I agree with Lynda. My tests have changed color after 5 minutes, especially if I let them sit out a while before cleaning out the tubes. :whistle:

How far into your cycle are you? I just had a similar problem yesterday. I thought I was showing little to no nitrites. Turns out my nitrite level was so off the chart it was producing a very light green (sometime virtually clear) when I tested. I mistakened this for a low nitrite reading. Last night I did a 90% water change, followed by a 70% water change, and then followed that up with an 80% water change. After all that, my nitrites were still somewhere in the 2-5ppm range. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's certainly a possibility.

When you put in the 5 drops of the nitrite solution, what color does the bottom of the tube turn before you shake it? If they turn purple at the bottom before shaking, your nitrites are too high. You want to put the drops in and have them stay light blue at the bottom of the test tube, as well as throughout the 5 minutes.

The reason I asked is because I tested before I did my pwc and after sitting for a few minutes the nitrite test said zero not if it was 5 min or 10 min didn't time but tested after my pwc and it showed nitrites and this time I timed to exactly 5 min.

I just re-read this again. You tested before a pwc and got 0 nitrite and then tested afterwards and saw nitrite? That isn't possible unless it's a testing error or there is nitrite in your tap water. Is this a fish-in cycle?

Chino1130 said:
How far into your cycle are you? I just had a similar problem yesterday. I thought I was showing little to no nitrites. Turns out my nitrite level was so off the chart it was producing a very light green (sometime virtually clear) when I tested. I mistakened this for a low nitrite reading. Last night I did a 90% water change, followed by a 70% water change, and then followed that up with an 80% water change. After all that, my nitrites were still somewhere in the 2-5ppm range. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it's certainly a possibility.

When you put in the 5 drops of the nitrite solution, what color does the bottom of the tube turn before you shake it? If they turn purple at the bottom before shaking, your nitrites are too high. You want to put the drops in and have them stay light blue at the bottom of the test tube, as well as throughout the 5 minutes.

I have been cycling since the 21st of September. The bottom of the tube is a purple color. I did a 30% pwc and tested again and timed it this time with a stop watch and it showed 2.0 nitrites.

I have been cycling since the 21st of September. The bottom of the tube is a purple color. I did a 30% pwc and tested again and timed it this time with a stop watch and it showed 2.0 nitrites.

Thats the same day I started my cycle! I'm going to guess that you are having the same problem I did. Your nitrites could have actually been insanely high, and the reading you are getting now is actually a lower level of nitrite. How long does your tank take to clear 4ppm of ammonia? Are you producing any nitrates?

librarygirl said:
I just re-read this again. You tested before a pwc and got 0 nitrite and then tested afterwards and saw nitrite? That isn't possible unless it's a testing error or there is nitrite in your tap water. Is this a fish-in cycle?

No it is a fishless cycle I thought it must have been a miss test that is why I tested after I did the pwc. But it did kinda get me excited when it showed 0 nitrites. From now on I will use a stop watch to time everything so it is precise.

Chino1130 said:
Thats the same day I started my cycle! I'm going to guess that you are having the same problem I did. Your nitrites could have actually been insanely high, and the reading you are getting now is actually a lower level of nitrite. How long does your tank take to clear 4ppm of ammonia? Are you producing any nitrates?

It drops to between 0 and .25 in 24hrs and my nitrates are about 20 they were real high but I added alot of live plants so they have come down since then.

No it is a fishless cycle I thought it must have been a miss test that is why I tested after I did the pwc. But it did kinda get me excited when it showed 0 nitrites. From now on I will use a stop watch to time everything so it is precise.

You may also want to shake the bottle some before you add it to the tube. I find that helps; some of the bottles have a reagent powder in them that can clump and cause inaccurate results. The test kit doesn't say to shake all the bottles before testing, but I do anyway.

It drops to between 0 and .25 in 24hrs and my nitrates are about 20 they were real high but I added alot of live plants so they have come down since then.

Sounds identical to my tank. My nitrates were 40-80ppm for a day or two, then dropped to 10-20ppm almost over night. I kept adding ammonia, thinking it was being converted to nitrite, then to nitrate. Turns out it was just building up nitrite. I thought the plants brought the level down, but I think I actually stalled my cycle process because of way too much nitrite. It explained why my nitrates were not rising to the expected levels. The water change would have lowered your nitrates as well.

Chino1130 said:
Sounds identical to my tank. My nitrates were 40-80ppm for a day or two, then dropped to 10-20ppm almost over night. I kept adding ammonia, thinking it was being converted to nitrite, then to nitrate. Turns out it was just building up nitrite. I thought the plants brought the level down, but I think I actually stalled my cycle process because of way too much nitrite. It explained why my nitrates were not rising to the expected levels. The water change would have lowered your nitrates as well.

My nitrates were 20+ yesterday and after the pwc today it went down to 5.0.

At this point it is safe to say the bacteria which comabts ammonia is established. Try only dosing ammonia levels to 2ppm instead of 4ppm. This will keep the bacteria that converts ammonia alive, while slowing down the rate at which you are producing nitrites. It should allow the nitrite fighting bacteria a chance to catch up. It may also prevent another stall, if that is what happened.

At this point it is safe to say the bacteria which comabts ammonia is established. Try only dosing ammonia levels to 2ppm instead of 4ppm. This will keep the bacteria that converts ammonia alive, while slowing down the rate at which you are producing nitrites. It should allow the nitrite fighting bacteria a chance to catch up. It may also prevent another stall, if that is what happened.

Just a note that if you do this (reduce the level of ammonia) only do it for three days at most otherwise the bacteria will adjust to the lower level of ammonia and get lazy; not what you want right now. :D

I am gonna test in the morning when I get home from work and see where I am at and decide then if I will dose back up to 4.0 or 2.0

Back
Top Bottom