Tetra AquaSafe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so should I be using something like API Ammo Lock to detoxify the ammonia for the fish? Or would something else work better?

TankMan said:
I use Prime. Many people in here do. It's the best IMO

+1 Prime is the most economical when you consider the dosage amount. But yes, you can use the API stuff if that is what you have access to.

I skip the additives and do water changes for ammonia issues. I only dose something for chlorine and chloramine.

I have been doing daily water changes but my issue is that I've tested my tap water and it has 1PPM to 2PPM of ammonia already in it.

I've also recently had an epiphany that it's probably smarter to add my water conditioner to my water before adding it to the tank rater than adding all the water to the tank then adding the conditioner. I figured I'm probably killing any good bacteria by not adding the conditioner first.

Natty84jb said:
I've also recently had an epiphany that it's probably smarter to add my water conditioner to my water before adding it to the tank rater than adding all the water to the tank then adding the conditioner. I figured I'm probably killing any good bacteria by not adding the conditioner first.

Adding the water conditioner to the new water in the bucket is the way to go if you bucket load your water. If you use something like a Python add the conditioner to the remaining tank water before you refill. Another thing that'll help "protect" your filter bacteria, IMO, is turn off the filter (if you don't already) while doing the water change & turn it back on a minute or two after you've refilled. That's what I've been doing on all 3 of my tanks, 2 of which are in the fish in cycling process, so far no issues. I bucket load 2 10g's & I prepare the water before I start syphoning out the water to be replaced, with 46g I use the Python. That's my two cents worth of advice. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom