Tetra safe start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have not used it but I recommend colonize by Doctors Foster and Smith. After 6 weeks of cycling my ammonia hadn't dropped a bit. 24 hours after using colonize, it was at zero! Here is the link to the site:

Pet Supplies | Dog & Cat Supplies, Pet Meds | DrsFosterSmith.com Pet Products.

They have a sale going on right now that you can get a 16 ounce bottle of it for $4.79. Shipping is $6, but you can buy other stuff on there such as some extra dechlorinator to make the shipping worth it. Good luck!

-bud

I have used the product and it worked well for me personally. I completed a fish-in cycle in about 10 days.

Not everyone who has used it has had the same experience however, and from what I've read, its effectiveness is 'hit and miss', but again, it worked for me.

One note: according to the manufacturer one does not want to use any water conditioner or other product that binds/removes/locks-up ammonia less than 2 days before or a week after using SafeStart -- something that doesn't seem to appear on the product label.

Good luck!

Last edited:
So if you are using colonizer, there would be no need to use other products, like Prime for example?

+1. Prime is a dechlorinator and conditioner while, say colonize, is a product that helps cycle a tank. They are two completely different products.

bud29 said:
+1. Prime is a dechlorinator and conditioner while, say colonize, is a product that helps cycle a tank. They are two completely different products.

+1 on that, Prime is a must. Also Tetra safe start did not work for me at all, however Stability made by Seachem who make Prime has worked on 3 of my tanks. Most don't cycle your tank, it's just a helping hand until your own biofilter cycle is complete.

So if you are using colonizer, there would be no need to use other products, like Prime for example?

I partially disagree with some of the answers to this question thus far.

Do you still need to use dechlorinator? Absolutely!

Do you want to use Prime? Only with caution.

Any product that binds/locks-up/removes ammonia will hamper the effectiveness of Safe Start. Prime is one such product. If using Safe Start, it's best to use a dechlorinator only, and not one that also detoxifies ammonia like Prime.

In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a
chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using
such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after
using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
food the bacteria require to live.

Source:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart | 58116

Best!

If I was you I would get a bottle of Prime and a bottle of Stability both by Seachem, both a proven success rate with people on this forum or just make do with Prime, water tests, water changes.

Borderlesscott said:
If I was you I would get a bottle of Prime and a bottle of Stability both by Seachem, both a proven success rate with people on this forum or just make do with Prime, water tests, water changes.

I couldn't agree more. Good luck!

RussellC said:
I partially disagree with some of the answers to this question thus far.

Do you still need to use dechlorinator? Absolutely!

Do you want to use Prime? Only with caution.

Any product that binds/locks-up/removes ammonia will hamper the effectiveness of Safe Start. Prime is one such product. If using Safe Start, it's best to use a dechlorinator only, and not one that also detoxifies ammonia like Prime.

In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a
chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using
such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after
using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
food the bacteria require to live.

Source:
Q & A With Tetra about Tetra SafeStart | 58116

Best!

Good points. I do remember reading that when I did use safestart. At the time I wasn't using prime so I never paid much attention to it. Well put!

Back
Top Bottom