Tetra Safe Start vs. API Stress Zyme+

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylifeasben

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

Is Tetra Safe Start the same as API Stress Zyme+?

The Stress Zyme says it contains bacteria to boost the biological filter, so does this mean it's the same just a different brand?

I ask this because I'm in Australia and we don't seem to get the Tetra stuff.

Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Neither of them really work but they claim to do the same thing. I wouldn't waste money on either of them to be honest.

That's kinda what I thought, but if anything helps get this ammonia down I'll try it.

Water changes, water changes, and more water changes. Just do a 50% change any time you see a .25ppm ammonia level. The downside of a fish in cycle :( You can try getting some filter media from a friend if they have a healthy established aquarium.

I'm doing 50% every 2 days and getting no where :(

I tried Tetra Safestart with no effect and then Seachem's Stability a few weeks later. Both were a complete waste of money. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a bottle that isn't already dead, but good luck. I highly recommend against getting any bottle bacteria.

I've tested Tetra Safestart a few times and it had good results. Some of the others have been questionable at best. Safestart actually has good science behind it and a great track record, so it's not a bad product. You can even dig up the papers regarding biospira, it's origin. It doesn't work 100% of the time since as mentioned there can be handling issues and shelf stability, but if I had to choose from one of the bunch it'd be that one or Dr Tim's which operates under the same principles.

Doing a 50% every 2 days isn't all that bad, how heavily stocked is your tank? The more fish in there, the more waste (ammonia) buildup. You can expect this to be the norm for a month or more unless you get a working bacteria booster (or better, find someone who can give you some good established biomedia)

Back
Top Bottom