tetras or Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
well do to misfortune(bad stock of diseased swordtails) i have some space available in my tank, i have 6 platys and 1 dwarf gouarmi currently in my 29 gallon bio cube, so with that said i cant decide between zebra danios(about 5-6) i understand that are max size 3 inches but everyone i talk to says they get 2 inches max, OR Neon Tetras( about 5 or 6) suggestions on what will do better in my tank?

ive looked into cherry barbs also but im just a little iffy about barbs since they can be nippy and i do have a nice flaming dwarf gouarmi

well do to misfortune(bad stock of diseased swordtails) i have some space available in my tank, i have 6 platys and 1 dwarf gouarmi currently in my 29 gallon bio cube, so with that said i cant decide between zebra danios(about 5-6) i understand that are max size 3 inches but everyone i talk to says they get 2 inches max, OR Neon Tetras( about 5 or 6) suggestions on what will do better in my tank?

just curious....how many swordtails did ya lose?

Fwiw, with the exception of the Giant danio, which can get over four inches, most danio species max out at 2 inches or less. But they are like NASCAR racers, and would drive a dwarf gourami out of it's tiny fishie mind.

Tetras are a much better choice ,but be sure not to get ones that will grow any larger than the gourami. Not all remain as small as, say, Neons or Cardinals. Even Cardinals get to at least two inches and can be quite robust looking at maturity.

Fwiw, with the exception of the Giant danio, which can get over four inches, most danio species max out at 2 inches or less. But they are like NASCAR racers, and would drive a dwarf gourami out of it's tiny fishie mind.

Tetras are a much better choice ,but be sure not to get ones that will grow any larger than the gourami. Not all remain as small as, say, Neons or Cardinals. Even Cardinals get to at least two inches and can be quite robust looking at maturity.

Right on : ), im actually going to get some neon tetras tommorow, so how many inches adult size should a account for? like i have roughly 10 inches for fish available and tons of room available in the top of the tank, so i was thinkin like 6? is that a good number? and is it safe to add 6 neon tetras to the tank at the same time?

They'll be young, and small, so I'd say yes. And six is not a bad number, as they are a schooling fish that likes company of its own species. They don't get much over 1.5 inches, IIRC.

Right on : ), im actually going to get some neon tetras tommorow, so how many inches adult size should a account for? like i have roughly 10 inches for fish available and tons of room available in the top of the tank, so i was thinkin like 6? is that a good number? and is it safe to add 6 neon tetras to the tank at the same time?

Yeah, just remember to check your params every other day to watch out for any small ammo spike that might occur.

Back
Top Bottom