The best water changer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mar23

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is the best water changing device you own? I need to buy one for my 60 gallon. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm the best wc er!! My 20 gal reservoir with 350 gph foot pedal pump helps too:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Python... i made one, use it to fill the barrel. No offrense but it's an obnoxious waste of water.. i make every drop count.

Python... i made one, use it to fill the barrel. No offrense but it's an obnoxious waste of water.. i make every drop count.

+1.

I use a pond pump to drain the tank and then a python to fill it back up. Like Brookster said the python wastes so much water if you want it to have any speed to it. When I used the python to drain and fill the tank it'd take about 3.5-4 hours, with my pond pump draining and python filling it takes about 45 minutes.

I use a powerhead with a hose attached to it. Then I attach the powerhead at the depth that I want the water to empty out at.

The hose that I use is one of pocket hoses as seen on TV.

I use that same hose to fill up the tank and sump by removing the powerhead, detach it from the hose and then attach the hose to the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This all sounds very complicated. My tank is right next to a window that leads to the back yard. Could I just use a syphon to empty it straight through the window and then a hose to refill it?

This all sounds very complicated. My tank is right next to a window that leads to the back yard. Could I just use a syphon to empty it straight through the window and then a hose to refill it?

That's what I do for one of mine. I drain it straight out the window into a flowerbed.

Caleb

Nigel... Can u send a link to which pond pump u use?.. Have a 125 gallon in basement and have Python... But can't get the siphon going from sink... 50 ft length... Don't like idea of wasting so much water either...

Nigel... Can u send a link to which pond pump u use?.. Have a 125 gallon in basement and have Python... But can't get the siphon going from sink... 50 ft length... Don't like idea of wasting so much water either...

http://t.homedepot.com/p/Beckett-400-GPH-Submersible-Fountain-Pump-M400HD/100083846/

Pretty sure it's that one. I just went to Home Depot and got a pond pump, it was winter so there weren't a ton of options. I went with the one with the highest rated gph and under $70. I'm pretty sure mine was 400-500 gph. Then I just got 30 ft. of vinyl tubing that fit it and I was all set.

Any pond pump will work though, I'm sure you could find one cheaper if you shopped around. I was just sick of wasting so much time using just the Python.

Thanks!! Am I right by thinking I can attach the gravel cleaner to it?

Thanks!! Am I right by thinking I can attach the gravel cleaner to it?

You'll need one with two openings for that. I made a gravel vac that way using http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cobal...ne-pump.html?gclid=CNL9rfn638UCFVM1aQodCy4AQQ

That way the hosing with the gravel vac connects to one of the intakes and the remainder of the hose that runs to your sink or whatever runs off the other out take.

You'll want to put a ball valve somewhere in there too so you can control the flow and suction in case it's too strong.

Thanks for the link... Not trying to hijack link OP... I have the Python that was mentioned... My tank is downstairs and the water pressure from my sink is not strong enough to start the siphon...= many bucket trips...

I have a python and I waste water. And I wouldn't change my water any other way. :hide: It is a very handy tool.

Sometimes upstairs I will do the bucket routine instead on my kid's tank because I feel guilty about it, though. And I don't use it on the tiny tanks. But the big tank... yeah.

I have a python and I waste water. And I wouldn't change my water any other way. :hide: It is a very handy tool.

Sometimes upstairs I will do the bucket routine instead on my kid's tank because I feel guilty about it, though. And I don't use it on the tiny tanks. But the big tank... yeah.

Get a pump and quit wasting water! D:

I don't really understand how the pump system works. I'm imagining it relies on keeping a bin of water somewhere, but I have nowhere to do it, certainly nowhere to hold 60 gallons =/

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't really understand how the pump system works. I'm imagining it relies on keeping a bin of water somewhere, but I have nowhere to do it, certainly nowhere to hold 60 gallons =/

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Nahhh. You just buy a pond pump, get a hose that fits it and run the hose to the tub, sink, garden, wherever. Put the pump in your tank and plug it in and it'll pump the water from your tank to wherever you put the hose. Then just use the Python to fill the tank up.

Back
Top Bottom