The day has finally come...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prgmitchell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the day I waited for.....I think my cycle is done.
I've had no ammonia and high nitrite for a while now....and today I tested and BAM....no nitrite. So I go ahead and test nitrate and there is some, FINALLY.

So what do I do now...anything?

The nitrate count is about 5-10 ppm.

And PS..I tested ammonia to find 0 but I dumped it out before I decided to take this pic!

Attachments

• Photo Aug 28, 12 21 17 AM.jpg
    Photo Aug 28, 12 21 17 AM.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 88
Looks like you still have a little nitrite from that pic, I thought zero was a much lighter blue

You definitely still have nitrites. Zero nitrites is the exact aqua blue on the chart picture- even a dark blue indicates a nitrite presence. Two questions- first, when you add the nitrite drops, do the drops turn purple when they hit the water then turn the color in the pic? Second, can you do a dilution test & let us know the results- fill up 1/2 way to the white line with tank water & the other 1/2 with plain tap water (50-50 dilution) and test for nitrites & let us know what color this is! Thanks!

This is how a good test looks.

From left to right in order per the chart.

image-3941150959.jpg

Notice the bright blue NITRITE reading.

Keep your cool and just be a little more patient and it will happen for you.

Jon

My kit only came with 4 test tubes so I cant show high-range pH at the same time but how does this look?

There's a little less than .25 ppm ammonia from what it looks like, with a pH of 7.6 and 0 nitrites this time. Then nitrates look like they're at 5-10 ppm.

I think the small ammonia is because my fish ate about an hour ago and have been pooping it out.

PS: i think the picture color might be slightly off, or not...I can't tell.
EDIT: looking now the nitrite color in the picture is off...it matches the 0 color on the chart PERFECTLY in real life.

Attachments

• Photo Aug 28, 11 33 00 PM.jpg
    Photo Aug 28, 11 33 00 PM.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 73
Unfortunately you still have nitrites.

It should be sky blue.

Have you tested your tap water to see of you have any nitrites in it?

Jon

Also seeing as your pH reading is 7.6 which is the highest the standard pH test goes to could you also test your high range pH. Just rinse the test tube and test high range.

I buy extra test tubes all the time because the 5ml mark on them fades after a while.

Jon

I've decided that my camera pictures are off on color as the colors match up PERFECTLY in reality.

I tested all but nitrates this time:
pH - 7.6 (looks like possibly 6.8 in the picture lol)
High Range pH - 7-4-7.8
Ammonia - 0 ppm (looks like .25 ppm in the picture)
Nitrite - 0 ppm (looks like there's a little in the picture)

I think it's done!

Attachments

• Photo Aug 29, 11 51 16 PM (1).jpg
    Photo Aug 29, 11 51 16 PM (1).jpg
    233 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom