The Good Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donna541

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just thinking out loud here but if u have a new tank and put in water from a healthy established tank will it help boost the bb in the new filter??? Just wondering as when u test ur tank water it shows up ur water qualities ??

donna541 said:
I'm just thinking out loud here but if u have a new tank and put in water from a healthy established tank will it help boost the bb in the new filter??? Just wondering as when u test ur tank water it shows up ur water qualities ??

Not really, all it does is put in more water for the fish as most bacteria lives in the filter and adding an established filter to a cycled tank is a lot more helpful than just adding water.

+1 to Bruinsbro. It can't hurt, of course, but very little bacteria if any are in the water itself, most live on the filter media, and some on the decor and substrate.

Have to agree with what's been said ... filter media, decor, substrate and even plants from established tanks is what your looking for to help cycle a new tank faster.

I have 5 tanks up and running all completely cycled.. I even keep a spare filter running just incase !!! Just often wondered if while doing a pwc with nitrates around 20 would this influence a brand new filter in a new tank ...

If you squeeze the established filter media into the new tank it will help, but transferring nitrates doesn't really do anything since they are the end product of the cycle and not the bacteria itself.

Back
Top Bottom