The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just found a bunch of new little growth on most of the plants. I guess the root tabs are kicking in. Its so exciting!

Is there a specific order I should add these fish in? I'm probaly going to add the rummynoses first, Kerri tetras second, and cories third. The question is: does the gbr go in before the angel or does the angel come first then the gbr and the apisto?- or does the order even matter?

Do the tetras/cories first like you were planning.
As for the others, I would add the angel last, or else add the angel/gbr/apisto at the same time (assuming the angels is small).

absolutangel04 said:
Do the tetras/cories first like you were planning.
As for the others, I would add the angel last, or else add the angel/gbr/apisto at the same time (assuming the angels is small).

Ok sounds good :). The angel is silver dollar size (the coin, not the fish lol). I Dont want to get all complicated with this, so would I be able to add the gbr and angel together and add the Apisto last?

IMO, yes. Your tank is planted and the angel is small, so I doubt it would be that big of a deal to add the apisto last. As always, keep an eye out, but it should be fine. :)

absolutangel04 said:
IMO, yes. Your tank is planted and the angel is small, so I doubt it would be that big of a deal to add the apisto last. As always, keep an eye out, but it should be fine. :)

Cool :) knowing me, somethings gonna happen with aggression because I'm cursed, but I'm not going to jinx it lol

How good is the flow from the fluval 305? I'm trying to decide if i should get a 306 or a 406 and since i'll be setting up a very similar system to yours any thoughts?

skywhitney said:
How good is the flow from the fluval 305? I'm trying to decide if i should get a 306 or a 406 and since i'll be setting up a very similar system to yours any thoughts?

Ehh, could be better. I think it gets like 300 something gph but it doesn't move the water very much if your looking for surface agitation. I got a powerhead for some more movement. I think it is enough filtration though, even though it's rated for 70 gallons and I have 60, I feel that its good enough. I'm not sure about the 06 series. I didnt even know there was a new one lol. Darn. Is your tank a 60?

I'd go kerris and corys first. Then rummys. Some have had a tough time keeping rummies alive like bruinsbro. Somthing to think about..

George9 said:
Ehh, could be better. I think it gets like 300 something gph but it doesn't move the water very much if your looking for surface agitation. I got a powerhead for some more movement. I think it is enough filtration though, even though it's rated for 70 gallons and I have 60, I feel that its good enough. I'm not sure about the 06 series. I didnt even know there was a new one lol. Darn. Is your tank a 60?

Yep, i think i'll go with the 406 and get a spray bar if need be to reduce flow.

Gboy66 said:
I'd go kerris and corys first. Then rummys. Some have had a tough time keeping rummies alive like bruinsbro. Somthing to think about..

Maybe that Is a better idea. I'll deal with the Rummys later and hopefully I have Bo problems. So kerris frst

I'm thinking about getting one of those seeded foam block media things from Angels plus. But I don't want to order it then have the tank cycle before it arrives lol! Do you think it would help my nitrites to drop?

If you get god rummy stock, they should be fine. It doesn't hurt to wait a bit for them though. Bruinsbro did have issues with them, but he didn't have a new tank. He just got bad rummies.
Mine have been perfect and have even survived a sort of tank crash. Since your tank is cycled, they should be ok in it. Just make super sure to get healthy looking ones from a good place. If you find tank-bred rummies, I recommend that since in general they seem to do better than wild caught ones IME>

If you get god rummy stock, they should be fine. It doesn't hurt to wait a bit for them though. Bruinsbro did have issues with them, but he didn't have a new tank. He just got bad rummies.
Mine have been perfect and have even survived a sort of tank crash. Since your tank is cycled, they should be ok in it. Just make super sure to get healthy looking ones from a good place. If you find tank-bred rummies, I recommend that since in general they seem to do better than wild caught ones IME>

I'll have to ask my lfs about tank-bred rummies. The rummies there are hit and miss-sometimes they're great, and other times they don't look so good. But I'll make sure I find some good tank-bred ones to avoid any issues.

I'll have to ask my lfs about tank-bred rummies. The rummies there are hit and miss-sometimes they're great, and other times they don't look so good. But I'll make sure I find some good tank-bred ones to avoid any issues.
Sounds good. :) And I am sure you know this, but make super sure that they come out of a very healthy tank. That makes a big difference too. If you can;t find tank-bred ones, then at least make sure there is not sign of disease in the tank or anything. Mine looked really dull in the store tank, but were healthy and they colored up instantly when I put them in my tank.
Again, you probably know this, but just in case, its a good idea to ask if the store has universal filtration or if each tank is isolated. :)

I'm pretty sure its universal, but I've yet to find a dead fish and/or a sick fish there. I'm sure you won't be able to answer this question but here it goes lol-I tested the nitrites before school this morning, let the vial sit for 5-10 minutes then recorded about 5 PPM. I left it there, and came home from school and the vial shows light blue (0 PPM). Its never done this before when I leave it all day, could it be a good thing, or a testing error? I tried it twice and both times within 25 minutes it went to 0. It could be nothing, just something I noticed.

I'm not 100% sure but I was told not to let ammonia get to far below 1ppm because you can starve the bb your trying to grow. The thread I read In here said its supposed to get off the chatted and then a 50% pwc. To get the nitrites and nitrates down.

I make sure not to starve the bb too much, I add ammonia right when I see zero. I did a 50% pwc to get the nitr(i/a)tes down, and it didn't go down at all lol.

The color change on the test kit is a temporary reaction and it changes over time. I do not know the exact chemical mechanism that makes that happen, I just know it does. I have run similar tests in rivers a bunch of times and they are all time-sensitive too.

Back
Top Bottom