The Sixty Gallon Build :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

George9

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this 60 gallon tank for my birthday back in November, and I finally plan on setting this thing up the day after Christmas. This is where I will post all of my issues and things, so I don't have to start a new thread each time.

I want to do a moderately planted tank, and I'm not planning on co2 (for now). I have a t5 ho fixture, its 108 watts total I think.

I'm using a Fluval 305 for the filter, but I don't think it will be enough flow. Should I get a powerhead to help stir up the water a little more?

I have almost got my stock list done, but it may need a little work.

X1 GERMAN BLUE RAM
X1 ANGEL FISH
X3-4 PLATIES
X4 BOESMANI RAINBOWS- Unsure if these will work out here, I have one left and I wanted to give it some more friends.
X10 RUMMYNOSE TETRAS
X10 PEPPERED CORIES
X10 KERRI TETRAS
Is this overstocked? Any room for anything else?

As for plants, I'm totally clueless to what the heck I'm going to add.:facepalm:
What kind of plants would I be able to do based on my lighting?

I have a nice big piece of driftwood coming from thedriftwoodstore.com, but its taking FOREVER.

Thanks!

I got this 60 gallon tank for my birthday back in November, and I finally plan on setting this thing up the day after Christmas. This is where I will post all of my issues and things, so I don't have to start a new thread each time.
Sweet! I'm kinda excited, can't wait to see how this will turn out! :)
I want to do a moderately planted tank, and I'm not planning on co2 (for now). I have a t5 ho fixture, its 108 watts total I think.
This PAR chart helped me with lighting, got it off TPT from a member Hoppy:
img_1706444_0_6462fdcff03848ddd44f83056e23e97c.jpg

I'm using a Fluval 305 for the filter, but I don't think it will be enough flow. Should I get a powerhead to help stir up the water a little more?
I don't know, but I would definitely think the platies, boesmanis, and cories would appreciate it. Not sure how that would work out with the angel since it's a slow mover.
I have almost got my stock list done, but it may need a little work.

X1 GERMAN BLUE RAM
X1 ANGEL FISH
X3-4 PLATIES
X4 BOESMANI RAINBOWS- Unsure if these will work out here, I have one left and I wanted to give it some more friends.
X10 RUMMYNOSE TETRAS
X10 PEPPERED CORIES
X10 KERRI TETRAS
Is this overstocked? Any room for anything else?
The boesmani's will work out. I'm pretty sure you have a little bit more wiggle room though.
As for plants, I'm totally clueless to what the heck I'm going to add.:facepalm:
What kind of plants would I be able to do based on my lighting?

I have a nice big piece of driftwood coming from thedriftwoodstore.com, but its taking FOREVER.

Thanks!

Comments in bold underlined red. Good luck! :)

I'm just going to see how much the fluval moves the water and decide from there wether a powerhead is needed or not.

Scratch the last post-- I got a hydor koralia nano ordered up.

Bruins- I have no idea what kind of plants to get.
what kind of plants do you keep in your tank?

Sounds like a great start and a good stock list. I think it would work as long as you build gradually, but might recommend skipping the bosemanis. Definitely following. :)

HN1 said:
Sounds like a great start and a good stock list. I think it would work as long as you build gradually, but might recommend skipping the bosemanis. Definitely following. :)

Yeah, I was going to add them slowly. Adding like 40 fish at once wouldn't be wry smart :p

When it comes to the schools, should I ad all ten of them all at once then take a break on adding fish? Or build the school up gradually?

Yeah, I was going to add them slowly. Adding like 40 fish at once wouldn't be wry smart :p

When it comes to the schools, should I ad all ten of them all at once then take a break on adding fish? Or build the school up gradually?

I think you should build up your schools gradually... say, 5 schoolers at a time until you reach the numbers you want.

The 305 may provide enough filtration for you... you'll just have to judge that one on your own. A powerhead would certainly help with circulation, if you feel the need. We use a 405 on a 75 gallon discus tank, but added a spray bar to slow the flow for the discus. A 305 may work just fine for you. Just wait and see.

Keep up the good work! You are on the right track with this tank IMO.

*edit* I do agree with HN1's comment about nixing the boesemanis.

Last edited:
severum mama said:
I think you should build up your schools gradually... say, 5 schoolers at a time until you reach the numbers you want.

The 305 may provide enough filtration for you... you'll just have to judge that one on your own. A powerhead would certainly help with circulation, if you feel the need. We use a 405 on a 75 gallon discus tank, but added a spray bar to slow the flow for the discus. A 305 may work just fine for you. Just wait and see.

Keep up the good work! You are on the right track with this tank IMO.

*edit* I do agree with HN1's comment about nixing the boesemanis.

Thanks, I will scratch the boesmanis.

I already bought a powerhead to be safe, we'll see what happens.

When I get part if a school (5 fish) should I drip acclimate them all in one bucket at the same time? What's the best way to do that?

Nothin' wrong with drip acclimation. I'd put one bag of fish in a bucket and go from there. Hope that helps.

Congrats on your birthday gift! Your stock list sounds great. :) Any idea what you want instead of the boemanis, or just more of the same?
I love rummies. THey are such great little schoolers. Larger schools of them especially look really great swimming around. :)

Wooohooo! George! Awesome! Im excited for you man, And i like the stock!

Definatly following:):D;)

severum mama said:
Nothin' wrong with drip acclimation. I'd put one bag of fish in a bucket and go from there. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if you could acclimate more than one at a time. That cleared it up :)

absolutangel04 said:
Congrats on your birthday gift! Your stock list sounds great. :) Any idea what you want instead of the boemanis, or just more of the same?
I love rummies. THey are such great little schoolers. Larger schools of them especially look really great swimming around. :)

Thanks! I don't think I want more of the same, probably another species. I'm kinda stuck :D Any ideas?

Gboy66 said:
Wooohooo! George! Awesome! Im excited for you man, And i like the stock!

Definatly following:):D;)

I'm excited too!! Only one more day 'till I get it all fired up! :)

Last edited:
severum mama said:
If you are stocking slowly enough, you should only be bringing home one bag of fish at a time. ;)

So yes, that bag of fish goes into a bucket so you can drip them. Here's an article that talks about acclimation. It works the same for FW even though the author is talking about SW. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/115/1/All-you-need-to-know-about-Acclimation/Page1.html

Sorry george, but i have some questions about the drip method

1: is it okay just to use tuper wear for this?
2: if i grt this right, you just pour the water and fish into a bucket and start?
3: could you use the same bucket that you use for water changes for drip?
4: an lastly, instead that nozel thing, does it also work to tie knots in the tubing?

Sorry!

Yes, I use Tupperware for all kinds of fish stuff. I wash it in the dishwasher and rinse before use.

2: if i grt this right, you just pour the water and fish into a bucket and start?
Put your fish into the container and use airline tubing to siphon into the container from the main tank.

I don't see why not.

4: an lastly, instead that nozel thing, does it also work to tie knots in the tubing?
I didn't look through the whole article, so I didn't see that. I just tie a knot in the tubing and adjust it as needed.

severum mama said:
If you are stocking slowly enough, you should only be bringing home one bag of fish at a time. ;)

So yes, that bag of fish goes into a bucket so you can drip them. Here's an article that talks about acclimation. It works the same for FW even though the author is talking about SW. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/115/1/All-you-need-to-know-about-Acclimation/Page1.html

Thanks!! I've never done drip acclimating, I definitely feel better about it!

severum mama said:
Yes, I use Tupperware for all kinds of fish stuff. I wash it in the dishwasher and rinse before use.

Put your fish into the container and use airline tubing to siphon into the container from the main tank.

I don't see why not.

I didn't look through the whole article, so I didn't see that. I just tie a knot in the tubing and adjust it as needed.

Thank you very much! I will use this method from now on :)

Pictures :)

Here it is with the light on:
1412xyw.jpg

Here's my new fixture!
eq9rt2.jpg

iohfl2.jpg

Heres the piece of driftwood thats coming soon (its a lot bigger than it looks!)
ej60jb.jpg

Can't wait!:dance:

That's going to be a really nice looking tank. I really like the driftwood that you picked out.

I run 108W T5 HO on the 120 gallon in my signature. I have Crypts (balansae, petchii, pontiderifolia, wendtii green, lucens, and wendtii Florida sunset), Vals (contortion, corkscrew, and jungle), Anubias (hastifolia, congensis, barteri, nana), and java ferns and they are all doing great. I've seen significant growth from all of them. I dose liquid ferts and use root tabs, but no CO2. Your tank is smaller than ours so you could definitely keep the plants we keep, plus plenty of others. If you want crypts or swords, I would strongly suggest using root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom