The "Styrofoam Factor"...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've read all about it and don't really know if it actually works, or has any benefits, but does anyone have any insight regarding the "styrofoam-under-the-tank" theory?

I've read that when setting a tank up, before water goes in, etc., some styrofoam material should be cut to the dimensions of the bottom of the tank and the aquarium itself should be placed on it -- or sometimes even INSIDE the tank I've read -- so that the tank isn't just sitting right on top of a stand...

I understand this has something to do with water and weight distribution, but is it absolutely necessary to ensure a tank won't crack or leak? I have my new Marineland 60 gallon sitting simply atop the stand that came with my setup (so I'm assuming Marineland assures everyone buying this that the stand could take the weight of a fully filled tank) without any styrofoam or any other kind of material...is this okay? :hide:

It's fine, unless the tank doesn't sit flush on the stand for some reason. Sometimes due to unevenness in the floor or the top of the stand a tank may not sit perfectly flush with the stand, and in that case some styrofoam would help by filling in that unevenness and keeping pressure points from forming at the parts of glass that aren't supported. As long as the tank sits right on the stand you will be fine.

It's fine, unless the tank doesn't sit flush on the stand for some reason. Sometimes due to unevenness in the floor or the top of the stand a tank may not sit perfectly flush with the stand, and in that case some styrofoam would help by filling in that unevenness and keeping pressure points from forming at the parts of glass that aren't supported. As long as the tank sits right on the stand you will be fine.

Thanks, Alyxx; so you're saying so long as there's no "gap" of some kind from uneveness it's okay without a styrofoam layer?

The reason I ask is because the tank, due to the uneveness of our floor it's on (but it is heavily supported with built-up materials our handyman added to the area the tank was going to sit on during the remodeling of our home after the last tank cracked and leaked and flooded the downstairs living room -- while the ceiling was open and being fixed by contractors, our handyman went up there and supported the ceiling with reinforcements because I had plans of putting a new tank in the same spot) -- because of the carpet padding beneath the Marineland Heartland stand, the tank and stand kind of slightly lean forward...it's not severe, and it doesn't look like it's "tipping" at all...but there is a slight lean...however, the aquarium itself doesn't have any "gaps" anywhere, and it does sit flush with the stand regardless of the very subtle lean...

Am I in trouble? :hide:

Thank you, brennae; so, you have always kept your tanks directly on a stand?

You have six fish tanks in your house? :eek::eek::blink::blink::huh:

I have six, too, haha. Well, if you count the small mangrove growout tank and the small betta tank. All are directly on a stand. Well, one is on a countertop and two are on my vanity. And one is on a computer table! All are fine with nothing underneath them.

My goodness...I can't imagine maintaining more than one (large) tank; and I wouldn't want my house filled with running aquariums...:blink:

That being said, my wife toyed with the possibility of setting up our 10 gallon that we used to house the goldfish that are now in the 60 during the emergency holdover after the last crash for a Betta...

My goodness...I can't imagine maintaining more than one (large) tank; and I wouldn't want my house filled with running aquariums...:blink:

That being said, my wife toyed with the possibility of setting up our 10 gallon that we used to house the goldfish that are now in the 60 during the emergency holdover after the last crash for a Betta...

That, my friend, is the beginning of multiple tank syndrome! It's not too bad, honestly. The only tanks that need lots of maintenance are the 56 gallon community and the 30 gallon salt tank. My 5 gallon crayfish tank can get a total water change in like 10 minutes, the betta tank takes less, and while the 10 gallon snail tank is on the other end of the house where I can't use the python it isn't too hard to clean. The mangrove tank just gets top offs now and then with saltwater. Can't say they're doing all that great, though, I probably need to move it to get some more light. And I'm going to be setting up a new betta tank soon. And no, it won't have anything underneath it either. Just have to find a place to put it...

Yeah...

Still seems way too daunting for me, and, as I said, I wouldn't want all those tanks around a house...;)

Thank you, brennae; so, you have always kept your tanks directly on a stand?

You have six fish tanks in your house? :eek::eek::blink::blink::huh:

LOL yes 6 tanks in one room even. 4 20longs, 1 10g and 1 29g. In the fall I will be setting up 2 55g tanks. Yes I always set the tanks directly on the stands. 3 of the 20longs are on a metal stand that holds 3 tanks. My friend is a welder and he built it, so I am not sure how styrofoam would go under the tanks in that situation anyway. I always just used shims under the stand if the floor or stand wasn't level.

well I have bettas and they need to be kept apart until breeding, so that's why so many tanks. Its not like they are all planted community show tanks

Back
Top Bottom