Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #11
Look It Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle View Post
do you know anybody with a cycled tank?
No

Old 04-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

maybe you can go to your lfs and offer to buy some of their filter media mine will sell theirs if they have lots

Old 04-28-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Look It Up

So how do you know what you're getting is good? I mean, if the lfs is bad and their tanks are diseased, etc., how would you know? I'm hesitant about putting something in my tank from someone I don't know. The few lfs I've been in here aren't good; some get their puppies from mills (or at least those are the rumors), some seem dirty, keep their animals in poor conditions. I'm not saying all of them as I haven't been in every fish store in the state, but I'd still be leery of them and putting something in my tank that might be harmful. I got my fish and supplies from PetSmart but I don't know if they would share their media and even then, I'm not sure. I've gone there a few times and seen some fish gasping at the surface and others had dead fish in the tank.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

have a look in the tank look for healthy fish and check back with it a few times if it seems to have no problems offer him 20 buck for some good healthy media he will sell i wouldnt go to petco/shop whateever lol thry a local store
Old 04-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm also VERY leery of seed material from any lfs. It's always gonna be a gamble unless it's coming from a friends house who you know has a healthy established tank. The problem I have with lfs filter media is that even if they have beautiful, well maintained tanks...they're constantly adding new fish to the tanks which could be bringing the nasties in with them. You've just really gotta take an educated gamble where you get it from.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i guess so but iam good friends with the owner of our lfs and she gave us great media for free i guess trust is the issue
Old 04-28-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by libraygirl View Post
So how do you know what you're getting is good? I mean, if the lfs is bad and their tanks are diseased, etc., how would you know? I'm hesitant about putting something in my tank from someone I don't know. The few lfs I've been in here aren't good; some get their puppies from mills (or at least those are the rumors), some seem dirty, keep their animals in poor conditions. I'm not saying all of them as I haven't been in every fish store in the state, but I'd still be leery of them and putting something in my tank that might be harmful. I got my fish and supplies from PetSmart but I don't know if they would share their media and even then, I'm not sure. I've gone there a few times and seen some fish gasping at the surface and others had dead fish in the tank.
IMO you don't know what you're getting and I think it would be a bad idea to use media from a LFS system that can support 10 or more tanks at once (basically multiple tanks in a big loop on one filtration system and it's SOP at LFS).
Old 04-28-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

maybe at yours iam just saying its an idea if you can trust them its not gonna be any worse then putting fish in your tank from a lfs they can just as easly carry a disease unless you qt all your fish before you add them to your tank
Old 04-28-2011, 09:51 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan-peddle
maybe at yours iam just saying its an idea if you can trust them its not gonna be any worse then putting fish in your tank from a lfs they can just as easly carry a disease unless you qt all your fish before you add them to your tank
Problem is that those filters from a LFS has had potentially hundreds of fish using those filter pads. Adding a fish directly into your tank without QT is always a gamble, but you're taking a risk with one fish as opposed to hundreds. I don't want to be inappropriate, but it's like that saying that when you "get with somebody...uhm...cough"...you're also getting with all the people they've been with.
eco23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

thats kinda what iam saying too figuratively speaking you have been as most diseases can be passed on

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com