This is not a cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyquidphyre

Aquarium Advice Addict
... okay, so I lied.

This is my delima-
Im getting a 75gal aquarium and Im not going to stock it until I move into a house (mid July) however, I would like to begin cycling. Which brings me to question one-
I don't want to transport 75gal of cycled water =o)
If my tank is cycled by the time I move, can I just take a bucket of water and the same gravel to the new house? Or do I have to cycle all over again? I would think that there would be enough bacteria in the gravel and filter and what not...

2nd question-
Now, don't get me wrong, I believe in fishless cycling.. but this brings me to question two-

My boyfriend has a neon dwarf gourami that is being picked on- majorly. He is loosing his color and hides at the top corner of the tank. It really makes me sad. I said I would take him when i got my 75gal up and running... but at this rate im scared he won't make it until then. Do you think if I bought him a buddy (another neon dwarf gourami a little smaller than he is) and put them and my pleco in the 75 gal to "cycle" would that be cruel? Since its 3 fish and 75 gals of water? That way he isn't getting picked on and is helping to cycle? Would three fish even be enough to get a cycle going by July? The reason I ask is because even tho I understand the cycle, Im not sure when the nitrites and nitrates come into play. For instance... does the entire tank have to have high ammonia levels before the nitrites and nitrates appear.. or is it just "Hey, ammonia has been here for a week" type thing. Heh, if that makes any sense.

I know ya'll get tired of cycling questions to I apologize in advance.. and I also thank you in advance =o)

Establish a filter in one of the tanks you already have. You can do this cheap with a corner or sponge filter and an air pump. When you setup the 75, move the filter to the 75g. Easy at that, just keep the fish load light in the 75 at first until the bacteria gets around everything in the tank.

hey lyquid,
ive moved my 29 gallon twice in the last two weeks, both without it going through even a mini-cycle. you should do exactly what grimlock said, establish a filter in your tank now, and then bag it up in some tank water and put it into your new one. that's the best thing you can do.

another great thing is bagging up the substrate and any fake plants that may have good bacteria growth on them.

i only transferred 3-4 gallons of my tank water. that doesn't make as much of a difference as you would think, because the bacteria actually attaches itself to objects. there isn't much floating around in the water.

the best is the filter and the substrate. just don't let anything dry! upon doing this you will either have no cycle at all (instant cycle) or you may have what is called a mini cycle. just like grimlock said, it should be fine to put the dwarf gourami in there, just keep the fish load light for a while, and check the levels often.

good luck!

-brent

Awesome. Ill put a sponge filter in either the gourami tank or the tank with my pleco and go from there.

Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom