Thought it was cycled ... Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pirahnaman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I thought my 55 gallon was cycled readings were good for about 2 week then I did a 25% water change.. Changed out the filter pads not the black sponges but the ones u change weekly during cycle I hadn't changed them... But after the cleaning of tank/ water change I'm now getting ammo and nitrite readings... What should I do

I'm a newb too, but I think you should have left your filter pads alone. I didn't change mine. The nitrates are very few in the water column. They are mostly on filter pads, substrate and decorations. Sounds like you lost most of them. I believe you're going to have to re-cycle unless you can steal some from another tank.
Then again, what is your population situation? Any inhabitants? How were they stocked?
What are your current readings?
:fish2:

Avoid touching the filter for afew months after youve cycled it. Id leave it for aslong as possible and only only lightly clean it if the opperation of the filter is effected. Again someone said it could be in your tap water but its unlikely.

If youve added the fish already its still ok, just keep on top of your water testing and water changes.

ok do not change you filter pads unless they are falling apart keep doing water changes to keep your ammo and nitrate .25 or lower I know the people that make the filters say change them every two weeks but they just want to sell you more filters if your water flow slows them rinse them in a bucket of tank water. Also i use prime IMO the best thing on the market.

During cycling I had a pacu and a pleco as well as 5 ghost shrimp once it showed that I was good as far as readings were concerned I added 4 piranhas one of which my pacu ate and 6 roseys which I'm down to 4 now my readings are 8.2 ph .50 ammo 2.0 nitrites like 80- 160 nitrates

Hi. If you added all those other fish at once, you likely didn't give your tank time to adjust hence the new cycling. In order to prevent this it is important not to add too many at any one time.
Be prepared for daily water changes again...
Also watch your feeding. decaying uneaten food will lend to this problem.
Your ammonia and nitrites are too high likely hurting your fish. I would do back to back 50% water changes and try to get those levels under control. I would also retest the nitrates... sounds odd to me.
You might also want to test your water, especially for ph. You might need to find a new water source. Your ph too high for piranha. They prefer slightly acidic water.
Piranha keeping

What kind of pacu? pleco? piranha? ...some of these guys get really big...

I don't know if this was of any help, but good luck.

Why on earth would you put rosey barbs or rosey tetra which ever you mean into a tank with pacu and pirahna.. Are they ment to be food? Because thats what theyre going to be. It may have only eaten 2 roseys but the rest will be gone before you know it. If you insist on trying to keep barbs in there, overfeed your pirahna.

Yes the Rosie's are just feeders and things seem to be settling down a bit in the tank had gf check it recently but ill recheck later and give report where levels are at at that point at work so can't do it now

Red belly pacu and pirahnas and I dunno really on pleco normal ones u can find anywhere

Do you know that your red belly grows up to 35 inch and bigger. I had 2 and they were 35 inch. If they grow up to size it's hard to get rid off them. They are beautiful fish but should not be kept in aqarium. These fish are messy eaters. And filtration was hard to keep up with them. Verry smart fish and strong.:)

Do you know that your red belly grows up to 35 inch and bigger. I had 2 and they were 35 inch. If they grow up to size it's hard to get rid off them. They are beautiful fish but should not be kept in aqarium. These fish are messy eaters. And filtration was hard to keep up with them. Verry smart fish and strong.:)

A 36inch red belly? I think youre mistaken for something else..

Hier a picture off the red belly pacu that I had in a 150 gallon tank.

image-1059527926.jpg

Go online and type redbelly pacu you will see

Attachments

• image-806667257.jpg
    image-806667257.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 49
So the fish like piraña and pacu should not be kept in a 55 gallon tank. Sorry to say.

The pacu we are trying to find a home for the pirahnas don't get as big as him and so the three should be fine in my 55 gal

Back
Top Bottom