Thoughts on an Eheim 2028

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently looking for a canister filter for my planted 29gal and i've come accross this filter for a very nice price($56 seen on sites and catalogs for $150+) is it worthwhile to have as the single filter? There a specific type of filter media to use that works well with it or some to avoid? any information or experiances you've had with this filter are appreciated.

I haven't personally used any Eheim filters, as I haven't run across any deals such as this, but Eheim canisters are supposed to be really high-quality and reliable. I understand they are practically silent as well. I'd say go for it, and you definitely won't need another filter to use with it. The 2028 may actually be overkill for a 29 gallon. You don't need as much turnover with a canister as you would using a HOB, because they do a better, more efficient job of filtration.

275 gph. $56 is a good price for that unit and it is good quality. Normally because of the cost difference I would reccomend an XP3 but you seem to have found a good deal. However, as mentioned, 275gph is a bit overkill for a 29 gallon tank. You want good circulation, but you don't want to create a whirlpool.

Im in process of chossing between that and an xp2 really, just need to check my lfs for media prices for each as the price on the 2028 dosn't include media

For a 29g I'd go with an XP2, Fluval 304, or an Eheim 2213/2215 canister. I like to overfilter, but I think the 2026 and 2028 would both be overkill for a tank that size.

Personally, I'd get the XP2 and stuff it with pot-scrubbers for biomedia and some pond media or filter floss for fine mechanical filtration..

Back
Top Bottom