Thoughts please on new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sampyscampy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Son wanted to get into fish for his birthday so weve got him a 9.5g tank, heater, filter, plants, gravel etc.

Initially hes now got a male dwarf gourami in there and 2 male small mollies. They all seem happy together and I was just seeing if I would be overcrowding adding either 1 4-6cm fish of maybe 2 or 3 2cm fish?

Overcrowded? or any recommendations?

Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend adding any other fish. Gouramis should ideally live alone in tanks that are under 20 gallons as they can become territorial and beat up their tankmates. Mollies also really appreaciate larger tanks, usually 20gals+. I'd recommend upgrading to a 20 gallon as you can then add some small fish of your choice and your current fish will be much happier! However, if you don't upgrade, make sure not to add anything else otherwise you run the risk of more incompatibility. Hope all goes well!

I agree with Drago for the most part. However, dwarf gouramis tend to be less aggressive than their larger counterparts. Still, I wouldn't add any more fish to that size tank.

Just a quick one.

One off the mollies has taken to hiding almost permanently ( it was the more dominant one ) in a submarine. Doesn't seem interested in food and hardly comes out except to chase the other one off, maybe the odd swim for 5 mins.

I tried a smushed up deshelled pea in case constipated. Filter has now been going for 3 weeks and regular 15% water changes up to the end of last week. All fish seemed very happy up to the one hiding.

Also noticed some tiny amounts of side to side movement and the top fins are down this morning too.

Help?

Thanks.

What are your parameters? Is there any way you can separate the molly so you can examine him/her closer? If you can, what symptoms is he/she exhibiting

Ok having had a check on the water and using a tester all the levels seem fine. We had to add some niterate reducer drops.

Wife's done 2 x 20% water changes over the last 2 days

Problem mollie seems to be moving about a tad more and has eaten some pea but we not fed much over the last day or two as might have over fed at the beginning.

We think he might have dropsy? Looking very bloated and you can see the scales look pointing outwards almost now. Looks to be breathing a lot quicker than the other mollie.

Back
Top Bottom