Tiger Barb questione

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fshewayhat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I'm new to the forum and the hobby itself,

I've been cycling my 65 gallon tank for a couple weeks and used the bio support stuff from my LFS. I finally got my fish today but the clerk advised me to get 3 Tiger barbs and go back next week for more. I got the small ones and regret it now, but am willing to grow them out. Do you guys think it would be okay to add bigger Tiger barbs to the tank or will it cause mayhem?

Welcome!

Your tank is a large size and it is more important to get the ratio of males 1 to at least 2 females, as they love to chase them around a lot.

Your tank will not be cycled this soon and you will be doing a fish in cycle. The additive stuff doesn't instantly create a colony of BB.

It takes time for the beneficial bacterial colony to grow enough for a tank full of fish.

How many Tiger Barbs are you wanting to have in total for the tank?

Larger the fish the more poo and waste you will have.

The real question is, are you wanting to do a fish in cycle. It takes a bit of work to monitor and test frequently and do many water changes to make sure that the water stays in a safe level to keep the fish from injury or death.

But it is not hard and is frequently done.

Here is an article which will probably be of assistance in the early staring of having an aquarium
You may know most of the information, though it is full of good tid bits.
Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

And for cycling a few options

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Fishless option
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

That was the long answer, the short answer is with proper male and female ratio it shouldn't make any difference. Except the tank isn't yet cycled.

Just keep the lights off and add the new fish in. You could get the larger ones if you want them.

Make sure to not over feed. Young fish will do better with a few smaller feedings a day. Like babies to teenagers. Less feedings needed as they get to adulthood.

Back
Top Bottom