Time span between new additions to tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have cycled a 14 gallon tank. I added the first 3 inhabitants - schooling fish on Monday. How long do I wait before adding the rest of the school?

They are glow light tetras, I believe. The orange eyes and orange stripe on body in case I am calling them the wrong name.

Two factors I can think of.
One is you need to give the bacteria in your tank time to increase to cope with the current fish bio-load. Two is that unless you quarantined the fish in another tank, it typically takes about 2 or 3 weeks for any diseases or parasites to show their symptoms.

For those reasons, I wait about 3 weeks between adding fish. That way if things start going wrong, I'm just dealing with one problem at a time.

Two factors I can think of.
One is you need to give the bacteria in your tank time to increase to cope with the current fish bio-load. Two is that unless you quarantined the fish in another tank, it typically takes about 2 or 3 weeks for any diseases or parasites to show their symptoms.

For those reasons, I wait about 3 weeks between adding fish. That way if things start going wrong, I'm just dealing with one problem at a time.

Thank you. I did not QT this first batch. I figured since they are the first in there, it is its own QT. My real QT is inhabited by platy fry - most of which will be transferred over time between my 14 gallon and 20.

I can't believe I may have to get another QT tank! Apparently, bigger is better. I am learning I should have started with a larger tank, like a 40 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom