Time to "Renovate" my tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmurray407

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a 26 gal tank (24x15x20in deep-Fluval 205 filter system and an all-glass hood with a 65w 50/50 compact fluorescent bulb-the bulb is new since yesterday) that we've had for years. For the last 5 years we've had a school of angelfish-started out with 6 babies and now we're down to one lonely angel in the tank all by himself. I want to renovate the tank, starting with a good cleaning today. I have some new plants, crabs, snails and ornaments on order to be "installed" in the next week or so, and then I'm hoping to start adding some new friends for my angel. We really enjoyed the Angels so I thought I would try adding a few more of them first. If that goes well, I would like to do a little school of clown loaches-I would also like to try some dwarf gouramis . I know I should limit the number of fish to around 10 or 12-is that correct? Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

A couple of questions-a nice selection of good, healthy fish can be hard to find in my area (near Minneapolis MN-it seems that all our nice "local fish stores" are going by the wayside and are being replaced with chain pet stores) and I'm intrigued by "mail order" fish suppliers-is this a reliable way to obtain new fish? I see that shipping is slightly expensive, but it would be nice to get exactly what I want and be assured of the health and quality of the fish. Can anyone suggest a favorite online supplier? (or any to stay away from?)

How long should I wait in between adding new fish? I know ideally I should use a quarantine tank when buying new fish-does anyone really do this? I've always just added the new fish to the community and have never had any problems (that I know of-but then maybe that's why I only have 1 angelfish left!)

Would an additional "bio-wheel" type filter be helpful in my aquarium as I add new fish? the Fluval does a very nice job, but I've read in a few places that having a secondary filter can be a good thing. I have a couple of them in my "pet supply" cabinet so I would just need to get new filter pads.

Well, I suppose that's enough for now-thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions :)

Deb

Welcome to AA!

Clown loaches aren't a good idea for a tank that small. They grow slowly, but they'll reach 12"+ in length eventually. Maybe consider khuli loaches or yoyo loaches instead. They stay small. I don't think I'd try to put gouramis in with angels either for aggression reasons. The number of fish you can put in the tank depends on the size and temperament of the fish. It's hard to give a general rule.

I haven't ordered fish personally, but there are many people here who have done so successfully. Talk to HN1 and SeverumMama. They breed and sell fish.

You can add fish at a rate of a couple per week with no issues. The idea is to avoid adding too much bioload to the tank at one time so that your filters don't have to try to catch up. As for quarantining new purchases, I'm guilty of not doing it. I won't add a fish unless it looks healthy, but even that has come back to bite me twice, once with ich, once with anchor worms.

Secondary filters can be nice, but they're really not necessary if you've got a properly sized filter.

Maybe rummy nose tetras or Von Rio flame tetras. Think of the angels as your centerpiece of the aquarium. Now you're looking for an accent piece. Think small school of tetras or rasboras.

dmurray,

Although yo-yo loaches are a much better choice than the clown loaches, even yo-yos get a little large for a 25g IMO. I really wanted them for my 30g but I decided they were too big for it - especially because they are so amazingly active!

However, dwarf chain (or sidthmunki, or just plain sids) loaches stay even smaller than the yo-yos, and they are super active, playful, social little guys just the same. IMO they are better suited than the yo-yos for your size tank.

I also think you would greatly enjoy a tank with sids, von rios, and an angel. IMO one angel is enough for that size of tank, unless you're going angels-only.

That's just me - I know what I'm telling you isn't exactly fun to hear (heck, I want 6 angels in my tank too :D ) but in my personal opinion, fish need breathing room. If you pick your fishies carefully to reflect off of each other in color, size, behavior, and personality, you can have a beautiful, harmonious tank without over-crowding.

A 25 gal has a footprint of 24 x 12 inches. A 6 inch fish like an angel could then, only be 1 foot away from another 6 inch fish if they're both at opposite ends of the tank. IMO, the fish are better off if we aquarists err on the side of caution.

If you are regular with water changes, I'd say an appropriate stocking list would be 1 angel, and 5-7 each of von rios and sidthmunkis.

And finally Deb, welcome to AA! I promise, I'm not always ruining the fun ;)

Wow, you guys are making me do my homework:) I'll check around for the sidthmunki (actually, I think I would buy them just so I could say their name-sounds like something out of Star Wars . . .)

All suggestions are very much appreciated-I want to make as few mistakes as possible!

Thanks!
Deb

The Dwarf Chain Loaches (Sidthimunki) look very similar to the Yoyo loaches (only smaller)-very "cute". The one angel won't be "lonely"? I think I've read that they like to be in groups with other Angels?

One other question that comes to mind is about little crabs and Nerite snails-I know the loaches can sometimes eat the snails, but I would really like to try some for algae control. Am I asking for problems having both in the tank? The dwarf loaches probably wouldn't be as likely to eat the snails as a larger loach (I would imagine, any way)?

Thanks again-
Deb

Angels do like to be around other Angels, but they're aggressive enough to do okay on their own.

I wouldn't keep a lone tetra in a community tank, because it would be too scared to come out. However, an Angel doesn't have that problem.

The sidthimunkis do eat snails, but since they're small, if you buy adult nerites they may leave them alone. If you don't want to take the chance, then don't mix them - it is taking a chance!

Okay, moving on :D

What sort of crabs are you getting?

I won't worry about the snails-the Sidthimunkis will be small when I get them, and hopefully by the time the get big enough to do any damage to the snails they'll all be used to each other. It'll work out one way or another :)

I was thinking of some little Fiddler Crabs to help keep my tank clean, something like these:
Algae eating crabs (fiddler crabs)

I'm going to check around at some fish stores this week to see what's available locally.

Deb

Fiddler crabs are super cool, but FYI they require brackish (inbetween fresh and salt water) conditions, as well as dry land to stand and burrow in. I know, nothing is as simple as it seems :lol:

If you want to see how to keep fiddlers, check out Adeebm's crabitat threads.

I wondered about that . . . .is there an freshwater, under water dwelling crab? I think the grandkids would get a kick out of them, but I was wondering how they would do with the Sidthimunkis anyway (and I'll be paying a lot for the Sidths, so they automatically win!)
Thanks for your great answers!
Deb

Back
Top Bottom