Tips for a happy betta...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to start a Fluval Spec V for a betta and am looking for any tips to keep him happy... Is there too much flow in these for a betta's liking? Whats a good substrate and what kind of decorations do they like? Plants, rocks, etc...? Thanks in advance...

I have a couple Fluval Edge's and the little filter has a flow adjustment. I don't know if Spec has it or not. My Betta's don't mind when I keep the flow turned up all the way. But some Betta's do not like much current at all. I prefer planted tanks for them also. They really enjoy plants and like to lay on plant leaves. Don't forget a small heater as they are tropical fish and can get lethargic when temps are too cool.

I have a couple Fluval Edge's and the little filter has a flow adjustment. I don't know if Spec has it or not. My Betta's don't mind when I keep the flow turned up all the way. But some Betta's do not like much current at all. I prefer planted tanks for them also. They really enjoy plants and like to lay on plant leaves. Don't forget a small heater as they are tropical fish and can get lethargic when temps are too cool.

I was just discussing doing a planted with my wife. Can you give me some basics? Some easy plants, what substrate to use, lighting? Filter media? Should I use the sponge that comes with it, or pull it out and put in a bag of Purigen? Maybe Matrix? I'm a salty guy, but I want to do a nice freshwater betta tank...

I'd go for some floating stuff like water sprite. Some easy low light plants like Anubias and java fern/moss. They would look really nice in a tank like that.

I like Eco Complete fine for small tanks but you wouldn't need a whole bag so I'd say some nice black sand would be fine. Water sprite is perfect for Betta's and easy to grow. All you'll need is some Flourish Comprehensive to add weekly as a fert after water changes. You can use Flourish Excel daily if you want as it will increase plant photosynthesis. Micro chain swords grow well in these tanks as would Java Ferns, Wendilov is my favorite in small tanks, and Bolbitus. Anubia Nana Petite is good is you have a small branch or piece of DW in the tank.

In the Edge filters, there is a sponge, biomedia tubes, and a place for carbon which I use Purgen there instead.

I like Eco Complete fine for small tanks but you wouldn't need a whole bag so I'd say some nice black sand would be fine. Water sprite is perfect for Betta's and easy to grow. All you'll need is some Flourish Comprehensive to add weekly as a fert after water changes. You can use Flourish Excel daily if you want as it will increase plant photosynthesis. Micro chain swords grow well in these tanks as would Java Ferns, Wendilov is my favorite in small tanks, and Bolbitus. Anubia Nana Petite is good is you have a small branch or piece of DW in the tank.

In the Edge filters, there is a sponge, biomedia tubes, and a place for carbon which I use Purgen there instead.

Do plants thrive in normal substrate? I was thinking about the fine black sand....

The ones I mentioned don't need to be planted they are not rooted

Stock lighting should be fine for the plants listed. My betta's have all loved anubias nana.

The stock lighting is probably low like on my Fluval Edge but the plants I listed are one's I grow in mine. One thing I've found really helps is using liquid carbon, Flourish Excel daily as it helps plants with photosynthesis so they can better use the light available to them.

Sand will work fine to plant in.

Back
Top Bottom