To begin cycling or to wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldensunflowers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting my first 20 gallon tank and have done tons of research on fishless cycling. I have everything about ready to start it, but then realized we're leaving for a 6-day vacation in 3 weeks. Should I begin the cycling or wait until I get back? I know by about 3 weeks I could be close to fully cycled and have fish in the tank at that point (where I would only need the fish to be fed, maybe using a vacation feeder?), or almost but not quite, where I would need daily doses of ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. I might be able to have someone come by and do it, but it might be a hassle. So should I start the cycling now and see where I get or just hold off? I'd really like to get going so I can get fish sooner, anyone have this problem of a vacation interrupting their cycling?

Welcome to the site! :)

I'd go ahead and get started...I think you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. Around a month or a bit more is the normal time frame for a fishless cycle, and even if you were near the end and had to leave...the beneficial bacteria can survive for a reasonable amount of time without ammonia. So if worse came to worse...you'd still have a heck of a head start when you get back.

Check out the guide and FAQ in my signature if you haven't seem it :)

Maybe one of our experts will have a better solution but the only thing I am able to think of would be to set up an ammonia drip... kinda like when acclimating new fish. That would allow you to go ahead and start but A LOT of testing would have to be done to get the drip rate right so that you are getting enough ammo but not to much.

Thanks eco23, read your guide (and many others) multiple times trying to make sure I do this whole thing right (did it totally wrong a few years back, just bought fish and put them in a tank, nobody told me about cycling). I think I will go ahead. Might be able to have a friend stop by and add some ammonia a couple times while we're gone. I really want to get fish (the whole reason I got the tank) so the sooner the better.

You can toss a couple frozen shrimp in during your vacation...but I also think it'd be okay for it to sit a few days without ammo. The beneficial bacteria is believed to be able to go around a week without significant die off. Again, even if the nitrifying bacteria colonies were slightly diminished, they'd bounce back in a few days after you resume adding ammonia.

Feel free to ask any questions you have along the way. We're happy to help :)

Welcome to the site! :)

I'd go ahead and get started...I think you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. Around a month or a bit more is the normal time frame for a fishless cycle, and even if you were near the end and had to leave...the beneficial bacteria can survive for a reasonable amount of time without ammonia. So if worse came to worse...you'd still have a heck of a head start when you get back.

Check out the guide and FAQ in my signature if you haven't seem it :)

Have to agree with eco23, no sense in waiting ... get started and good luck!(y)

Thanks for the encouragement!! Heading to the store to get an ammonia tester (the strips I got test for everything BUT ammonia, uuurrrgghh), then will get started tonight!! Yay, can't wait to get real fish and not have an empty tank!!

Thanks for the encouragement!! Heading to the store to get an ammonia tester (the strips I got test for everything BUT ammonia, uuurrrgghh), then will get started tonight!! Yay, can't wait to get real fish and not have an empty tank!!

I highly suggest skipping test strips. They may seem more convenient and cheaper ... BUT they are notoriously unreliable. The API test master (liquid) kit is what many AA members recommend. Much more reliable and in the long run cost effective. During cycling you need accurate parameters and test strips just don't cut it.

goldensunflowers said:

Don't get strips! Drop a few extra $'s and get a liquid API Master Test kit. They're accurate and last a long time. They're vital to cycling as well as maintaining a healthy aquarium in the future.

I got mine at PetSmart but the guy there tried to talk me out of it... said i didn't need to test for (toxic levels of) NitrItes...

Back
Top Bottom