To cycle or not to cycle.... (2-gallon tank)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fearlessfisch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Interesting thread below about filtration in a 2-gallon betta tank. It made me think of a question.

I went to another site that had a form for tiny tanks, and several of the members there said that they never cycle very small aquariums. Rather, they do 100 percent water changes all the time. At least one said that cycling in such a small tank is difficult and often not successful.

This seemed strange to me. Do people here cycle their tiny tanks? How long does it take, and what percentage of the water are you changing? Is there any merit at all to 100 percent water changes in tiny tanks? Isn't a cycled tank much easier on the fish? I'm thinking about a 2-gallon tank btw. I have a HOB palm filter (teeny tiny) and a 25 watt heater in there. Is it possible to cycle small tanks and make them stable for the long run with frequent partial water changes?

I'd really appreciate hearing any personal experiences, thoughts, or comments about this issue. Thanks.

hmmm... that is interesting. From what I've learned, it would not be beneficial to change 100% of the water because it seems that would disturb all the good bacteria. I'd probably do 1/3 or 1/4 change twice a week... not sure.

I've had a 2 gallon betta tank, that I regularly do a 100% water change, and it has no real filter. Never had a problem, been doing it this way for a few years. Now does this mean you won't have a problem well I dono all I know is that I've been sucsecssfull doing things this way.

Thanks for the responses. It's good to know that the 100 percent can and does work. I wonder how successful other people have been in cycling a tiny tank--I'd still like to try that, but wonder if it's a silly idea in a 2-gallon.

Back
Top Bottom