To quarantine or not to quarantine??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I have a 29 gallon planted setup. I just went through an episode of ich with some cardinal tetras that I added from two different sources. All of the cardinals ended up dying, but none of the other fish died.

Currently I have 5 ember tetras, 1 bristlenose pleco, 3 corydora weitzmanii, 1 betta, 3 nerite snails, and a host of Ramshorn snails that originally came with a plant order.

My parameters are very steady at pH 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 10-20. Our (very hard) well water tests positive for a small amount of nitrates (<5). Temp 80. I have a sponge filter and an aquaclear 50 HOB.

I would like to add some more fish to the tank now that everything is healthy and the ich has been gone for a while, which leads me to the question. Is it best to quarantine new fish or not? I have read that some people say quarantine with full meds to make sure you don't introduce anything bad into the tank. On the other extreme, I've read that you shouldn't quarantine at all because healthy fish won't get the illnesses. And if you quarantine in a special tank you're just stressing out the new fish that are already stressed out from moving, opening them up to disease.

Opinions?

Here is my tank:
uc

Hello Non...

I've never quarantined new fish. If you're careful during the fish selection process and keep your home tank extremely clean, I don't think you have any worries. Viruses and parasites won't live in pure water conditions and a healthy fish is very unlikely to be affected anyway. But, the choice is yours. If you have some doubts, set up a separate tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom