to vacuum or not to vacuum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drm315

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a few days away from this, BUT after your fishless cycle has completed and it's time to do the 90% water change - is it okay to vacuum the gravel or should I just leave it alone?

I don't think it's a problem either way, but any reason why you would need to? I can see doing this if you used fish food or dead shrimp as an ammonia source. Otherwise, not sure if it necessary.

I don't think it's a problem either way, but any reason why you would need to? I can see doing this if you used fish food or dead shrimp as an ammonia source. Otherwise, not sure if it necessary.

Have used just ammonia. There are tiny particles of driftwood under the piece of driftwood or if I move the driftwood around they can be seen in the water also. I was just making sure it wouldn't hurt the beneficial bacteria count in the gravel if I vacuumed it.

The BB will colonize on most surfaces/areas with adequate oxygen and nutrients. A decent amount will be in the filter. Also, if there is some loss via gravel cleaning (which I believe is minimal at best), then the BB will increase in numbers in other areas of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom