Too good to be true?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieMomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have helped my 12 yo with his Betta fish in his 5.5 Gallon but am really a newbie. Having read up on this hobby, we have been bitten by the bug to have a full-size community tank.

I was looking for a 55 gal tank with a cabinet stand. I have a 48" x 48" space in the living room, somewhat formally decorated (the room, not the space). I found a local listing this morning for a 100 Gallon tank plus black wood cabinet stand. 48" x 48" $100 and they'll deliver to me tonight for an extra $15!!!

Did I luck out or what?! Or is this too good to be true. They said they just want the space in their living room.

I envy you!!! I've long wanted to find a cheaptank, but havent had any luck! If its only 15 dollars, id take it. Even if the tank is busted, the stand could be made into a fish cabinet

Have you seen the tank at all? Sounds like a pretty good deal as long as everything is in good condition. Does it come with anything other than the tank and stand?

The $115 includes tank, stand, and delivery. I did see a pic on Craigslist.

Understand that there will be other costs associated with the tank. You will need a good filter, lights, decor, gravel....etc.

And also, after you get all the "innards" of the tank, you will need to cycle it before adding fish.
It's a process ;) but it's very rewarding!

I very excited to start getting all the innards and such. I will certainly be doing a fishless cycle first according to the articles and advice on this forum.

All I'm getting today is black substrate and artificial plants. I have read that the soft silk-like plants are much better than stiff plastic.

Anything I should know before I get the substrate and plants? I think I read to rinse everything in hot water first. But besides that, anything else I need to know?

This forum rocks, BTW!

The silk plants are much more natural, and come in more natural looking colors.
Have you ever thought about using real plants?
Www.plantgeek.net is a great resource for easy to care for low light needing plants for the most true to nature aquarium ;)

Keep us all informed on what you do with it all. I wish I was setting up a 100 gal right now.

I prefer the silk plants. They tend to sway in the water flow and look more natural. Maybe once you have had it up for a while you might want to switch to real plants, but fake are much easier.

Welcome!!!
I'd say that the current owner of the tank either has no idea what size the tank actually is, is selling a frag tank, or has a typo in the ad. I've had a 48"x48" tank that was 100 gallons, and it was only 12" tall- a frag tank for corals. If the tank is 48"x18" and the owner typo'ed in the ad, it could be a 90 gallon.

I saw the pic but have no clue as to it's size. Can't wait to see it in just a few hours! I'll report the dimensions then and maybe we can figure out the mystery, lol!

ETA: would online be a better source for silk plants than Petco/PetsMart? Anyone recommend a supplier?

I assume I want a biofilter. Anyone recommend a specific brand? Is t substantially less expensive to order online.

I am willing to be patient!

I saw the pic but have no clue as to it's size. Can't wait to see it in just a few hours! I'll report the dimensions then and maybe we can figure out the mystery, lol!

ETA: would online be a better source for silk plants than Petco/PetsMart? Anyone recommend a supplier?

I assume I want a biofilter. Anyone recommend a specific brand? Is t substantially less expensive to order online.

I am willing to be patient!

Congrats! Let's take a look at the dimensions of your tank and see how large it is for sure before we recommend a filter. :)

Most of the time it is substantially cheaper to order online.

Hi all,

The aquarium was a little to good to be true. It's 48x24 and 12" high. So that makes it a 55 gallon, I think.

The sellers feel bad they honestly thought it was 100 gallons! They used it for a lizard. It has been used for water in the past and it does hold water. I'm a little disappointed but to be honest, it probably wouldn't have fit if it was any wider. I was originally looking for a 55 gallon anyway. And $100 for the tank and cabinet style stand is still saving me money as well as helping them out.

Alls well that ends well.

PS they had to change delivery to this afternoon so I should get it today.

I'm going to start a new thread for this tank and use the new thread for a set-up and cycle log. Please join me there! Thanks and hugs everybody!

According to the math it would be a 60 gallon, but i'm not sure if when they say 55 gallons if thats how much water it will hold after normal displacement or completely empty. Still a nice size tank! :)

48"x24"x12" = 13824 cubic inches
13824 x 0.00432900433 = 59.84415585792 gallons

Last edited:
Thanks for doing the math! I have no clue how to figure that out. ;)

Actually I think the numbers are off. If those measurements were taken from the outside then it's going to say it's larger than it is. Subtracting a half inch from each dimension gives you an almost perfect 55 gallon tank.

Yeah, visually it looks like a 55. The people selling it on Craigslist originally thought and advertised it as a 100 gal. Lucky for them I laughed and didn't get mad when they showed up with it. Any bigger and it wouldn't have fit anyway. :)

Back
Top Bottom