Too many fish deaths in a month old aquarium..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. So do a 50%, fill it back, use prime, and then again right after? Or you mean wait a day?

I would do 3 in a row if it was me. Add the Prime before adding the water. Then do 1 or 2 times tomorrow. Good luck!

You can't afford to wait at all. Do 2 water changes today, one after the other. Do 3 if you have time.

Test tomorrow a.m. and see what your numbers are then.

I'm always so sorry to see people enter this great hobby dealing with such huge problems. There should be a book they give you when you buy your first tank. :ermm:

To avoid more fish deaths / damage, you need to get your ammonia a lot lower ASAP and ideally below 0.25

If your ammonia is now at 4.0 then a 50% water change will take it down to 2.0 and a second 50% change wold take it to 1.0

So, for starters, you really NEED to do 2 50% or higher water changes one after the other.

For both changes, you need to dose the water you are putting back into your tank with the right amount of prime before adding it to your tank (or you can add enough prime to dose your whole tank to the tank before refilling). Remember to get the new water at the same temperature as the tank water too.

Those two water changes are needed immediately and, if you have any energy left after that, a third 50% change to bring the ammonia down to 0.5 would be good. Daunting I know, but your fish will thank you for it :)

Alright I will!

Another thing, my filter cartridge needs to be replaced. When I get a newer one do I stick in there with the old one to get some bacteria in it? I read somewhere you do somethign like that.. but I'm not sure.

Your filter cartridge only needs to be replaced a few times a year, not monthly. It only gets replaced when it's literally falling apart.

So, forget changing it out any time soon, okay?

I've never heard of it replacing it a few times a year, but glad I know! That helps out with money in my picket and hopefully my fish. :p

I only change my water about once a month unlike most ppl recommend. Every water conditioner or ammonia killer or whatever I use to enhance my aquarium is not used according to what it says in the directions. For example, instead of pouring 10 ml per 10 gal of water conditioner every 2 weeks I pour 5 ml pr 5 gal every month.

I save lots of money and the best part is that my fish rarely ever die! Many companies' guidelines of maintaining an aquarium are often exaggerated. Fish will adapt to your own reasonable schedule of maintaining water quality. The bigger the aquarium the easier it is I found.

:)

I only change my water about once a month unlike most ppl recommend. Every water conditioner or ammonia killer or whatever I use to enhance my aquarium is not used according to what it says in the directions. For example, instead of pouring 10 ml per 10 gal of water conditioner every 2 weeks I pour 5 ml pr 10 gal every month.

I save lots of money and the best part is that my fish rarely ever die! Many companies' guidelines of maintaining an aquarium are often exaggerated. Fish will adapt to your own reasonable schedule of maintaining water quality. The bigger the aquarium the easier it is I found.

:)

You also have an overstocked tank, so it would be harder for you to maintain steady parameters. It's all about bioload. ;)

Thats what I was told from my Aunt about water changes.. but with all this ammonia I never thought that I would. But now that I'm learning way more its probably because of this horrible cycling period. :S

I've googled on how many mollies a 20 gallon can hold, but was never really told a good answer.. and I've always planned to move my shark to a bigger aquarium. But in the end I'll probably move just about everyone into the 37 when its ready.

If you keep the shark in a tank that's too small, and that's even the 37, it will get very aggressive and most likely eat your smaller fish. Mine ate a school of danios.

You have no choice, really, but to rehome the shark. Sad, but true.

I've googled on how many mollies a 20 gallon can hold, but was never really told a good answer.. and I've always planned to move my shark to a bigger aquarium. But in the end I'll probably move just about everyone into the 37 when its ready.
are you doing a fish in or fishLESS on your 37? I think the idea is they want you to move all your fish over to the 37 NOW and do a fish in on that tank. also I think what they want you to do with your filter is move all the media into the filter you have on the 37. is the bio wheel the same size on the two filters? also, you can just take the blue filter thing in the 20 and put it in the 37. probably put both of them in there together (the one for the 37 AND the one from the 20). this will allow you to take what good bacteria you have in your 20 with you over to the 37. moving everyone over to the 37 now will in a sense dillute your bioload and help your fish out with your ammonia issue. more water = less ammonia buildup for the same amount of fish. make sense??
and yes, to answer your earlier question you are not even close to being cycled. do lots of water changes and get your numbers down. don't worry about doing too much. what I did was a couple now, then give yourself a break and do a couple more tonight, then if need be a couple tomorrow morning, etc you get the idea. the faster you get that ammonia number down the better chance you have of no more fish deaths.

I applied two 50% water changes and will do another tonight! :)

I also have a pretty high pH but I've been told and seen around that fish adapt to that. My High pH reads about 8.2. Should I do anything about that or just leave it be like I've read?

You're doing good. 8.2 pH is not a problem as long as it's stable. Adding chemicals to change your water (other than conditioner/dechlorinator) makes more problems than they fix. It also makes money for the LFS.

Sound like your getting there. So well done and good luck. I assure you once your tank is cycled it gets easier and more enjoyable.

A couple of tips for you. ALWAYS research the fish you want to buy, to make sure they are compatible with what you have or what you want to get, as well as your tank size.

DON'T just rely on your lfs to give you the best advice. Some are brilliant others just want the money. So don't be afraid to ask elsewhere before you commit to anything. (saves disappointment )

When setting up another tank and I'm sure you will. Lol I currently have 7 . But by sat I will have 21. Although I'm selling a few. Any way use some old filter media to help cycle your new tank, you can also fill the new tank with water from your water changes on your older tank/tanks till its full. This will speed it up greatly. A new tank tanks about 7-8weeks to cycle correctly.

Although I have many years ago, ( as this was considered the best thing) done water changes monthly or even longer!!! as mature water was supposed to be better.!!! I would strongly recommend weekly water changes. Most ppl do 10% Which is fine. However i do min 25% I also tend to do this twice a week. Not only will your fish be happier it will also help if you want any to breed. .

Since your tanks not cycled AT ALL I still recommend moving to the bigger tank NOW. Before your cycle begins. As I said. Larger tank, more water volume to dilute the ammonia = safer for your fish. And as said earlier, rehome the shark ASAP.

Alright, I moved them over. I'll test my whole tank.

So with speeding up the process.. do I just switch the filters? Or should I add the cartridge of the 20 gallon to the 37 gallon; something like that? i don't exactly want to switch the filters who since they are both different because of the sizes.

Back
Top Bottom