Too many fish deaths in a month old aquarium..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dotswithchemicals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to this site with wanting to seek some real answers that'll solve my problems with my poor fish. I've had a few molly fish deaths and I go to local pet stores for answers, but I get too many different ones without any changes in losing fish.

So I got my first 20 gallon fish kit about December 15th, probably, and didn't know about the fish cycling process. I added in 2 guppies that I still have today, and a few molly fish because I started to fall in love with these fish and want to breed them. So far I've killed about 4 or 5 mollies within this month and I figured out today that I'm probably an idiot in doing weekly water changes, vaccuming the rocks also, while my tank is probably STILL in the cycling process. My ammonia read stressful at a local Petstore today so I'm wondering what I should do and how to tell when my tank is to be done cycling? When I last did a water change I used Prime to reduce ammonia because I had a fish death.. will this hurt the cycling process if its still in it?

Right now I have 2 tanks, the other is 15 gallons, and I put some of my mollies into it to help the other tank incase its still cycling. So the 20 gallon holds 2 guppies, 1 red tail shark, 1 balloon molly, and 2 other mollies. The 15 has my 2 mollies and 2 swordtails with a out nine 3-week molly fry. And yes, I know 15 is too small for them but I bought a 37 gallon tank and also need advice on fishless cycling.

I feel that I may have a few more fish deaths along the way, but I'd like to get this done as fast as possible, but in a sure way that its all done so when I'm ready to buy more fish--I'm actually ready!

All advice would be deeply appreciated. The feeling of basically "letting my fish die" is horrible. :nono:

I would start with alittle light reading. The sticky in this section about 'before getting started" will have some basic info about fish-in cycling and other beginner topics.

There's too much to cover in a single post, +1 on reading the getting started material. If you did anything right it was water changes and using prime which will not affect the cycling process. If you are using tap water like most people are then your municipality more than likely uses trace amounts of chlorine which is added directly to the tank will aid in killing the beneficial bacteria you are trying to build up.
Water changes keep the ammonia and nitrites at a safe level for the fish and prime detoxifies the ammonia and nitrites which are present.

dotswithchemicals said:
I'm new to this site with wanting to seek some real answers that'll solve my problems with my poor fish. I've had a few molly fish deaths and I go to local pet stores for answers, but I get too many different ones without any changes in losing fish.

So I got my first 20 gallon fish kit about December 15th, probably, and didn't know about the fish cycling process. I added in 2 guppies that I still have today, and a few molly fish because I started to fall in love with these fish and want to breed them. So far I've killed about 4 or 5 mollies within this month and I figured out today that I'm probably an idiot in doing weekly water changes, vaccuming the rocks also, while my tank is probably STILL in the cycling process. My ammonia read stressful at a local Petstore today so I'm wondering what I should do and how to tell when my tank is to be done cycling? When I last did a water change I used Prime to reduce ammonia because I had a fish death.. will this hurt the cycling process if its still in it?

Right now I have 2 tanks, the other is 15 gallons, and I put some of my mollies into it to help the other tank incase its still cycling. So the 20 gallon holds 2 guppies, 1 red tail shark, 1 balloon molly, and 2 other mollies. The 15 has my 2 mollies and 2 swordtails with a out nine 3-week molly fry. And yes, I know 15 is too small for them but I bought a 37 gallon tank and also need advice on fishless cycling.

I feel that I may have a few more fish deaths along the way, but I'd like to get this done as fast as possible, but in a sure way that its all done so when I'm ready to buy more fish--I'm actually ready!

All advice would be deeply appreciated. The feeling of basically "letting my fish die" is horrible. :nono:

Hi and welcome!
First, doing water changes is GREAT! You need to be doing them daily to keep your fish alive and healthy during the cycling process. Water changes will NOT hinder the cycle.
Second, I have some bad news. Some of the fish you have are not suitable for the tanks you have them in. As you know the 15g isn't suitable for the swordtails or mollies. The 20g is stocked to capacity. The redtail shark requires a 55g tank minimum. They are quite aggressive and grow to about 5-6 inches.
Third, the sooner you can get the new larger tank the better for your fish. Not many of them are suitable for your other tanks.
Forth, You really need to buy your own test kit to monitor your cycle. Strips are useless. Known for their inaccuracy.
Here is a link you should read.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Any questions don't be afraid to ask!

welcome to the site. you can read my story under member introductions, but the short side of it is that I am in the same boat as you. Started doing the aquarium thing probably around the first of Dec and promplty killed many fish. :nono: that is when I learned the importance of daily water changes. do not be afraid to change your water! the bacteria you are trying to grow is not in the water it is in the filter and the rocks, decorations, etc. second, and this might be as important as one - get your own liquid test kit! I was having my water tested at the pet store and they told me it was a little high. when I got my test kit and tested it myself it read ammonia 8ppm!! I honestly thought my test kit was malfuntioning!! :hide: hang in there! buy yourself a test kit (API liquid test kit) it is well worth your money in the long run. you are going to be doing lots of water tests in your future and this is the cheapest and most reliable way to go. second, change that water (with treated water) daily or sometimes more to get your numbers down to where they should be. listen to the people on here. they know what they are talking about. Mumma has given me great advice!! they will help you save your fish

+1 to the reading and +++1000 to getting an api water testing kit, it is a must.
I dd the same as you and lost 10 fish in three days, found this site and things are still bumpy but with everyone's help getting there! Good luck and welcom :)

These replies give me hope; thanks. :) I'll do water changes everyday until all seems clear. But what about the gravel? Should I not vacuum the it so it grows the proper bacteria?

I've also purchased a bubbler for my now cycling 37 gallon tank and was wondering if I should add one to the 20 gallon so it'll help my fish and all. And when I put it in, should I put rocks in it to help settle down the flow a bit? Or will a 20 gallon pump be alright if its up on top of the rocks? I'm trying to raise the ammonia in the cycling 37 and the food seems to be flying everywhere with that bubbler.. not sure if it would stress out the fish if there were any in that tank.

And I also just bought a Java Fern and some Java moss which I hear helps with the cycling because its a plant? My 37 gallon tank has LED lights; can these lights be used to own a tank full of plants or just certain types? Also beginner ones so I can learn how to maintain them.

I'd love to have a tank full of real plants so my future fish can really benefit from it. :)

Most LEDs are not enough light to grow plants very well. They can grow some low-light plants though. In regards to adding an airstone, f you think there is not enough gas exchange/surface agitation, it's a good idea. But too much can stress some fish if it interferes with their swimming. Some air pumps are adjustable.
Good luck!

I would suggest cleaning up the fish food and doing a water change on the larger tank then moving all fish and filter over to it to continue they cycling process. More room for the fish an more water to dilute the ammonia.

I would suggest cleaning up the fish food and doing a water change on the larger tank then moving all fish and filter over to it to continue they cycling process. More room for the fish an more water to dilute the ammonia.

What about the filter power? Its for a 20 gallon and my big tank is a 37. When I switch back to the bigger filter wont it reset my cycle?

Or are you saying I should switch filters for now so it builds up on my bigger filter? They are both bio-wheels

I also bought a master liquid test kit and as of now my ammonia is at 4.0, I believe and the Nitrate and Nitrite are at 0, which have been about the same as the ones I've gotten from a pet store.

What does this mean, exactly?

dotswithchemicals said:
I also bought a master liquid test kit and as of now my ammonia is at 4.0, I believe and the Nitrate and Nitrite are at 0, which have been about the same as the ones I've gotten from a pet store.

What does this mean, exactly?

How long have you been cycling? You don't have fish yet do you?

I'm thinking of buying Ammo-Lock to convert it so it'll help the cycle.. is that a good way to go?

Whoa! That's really high ammonia. No your tank isn't cycled and you need to do several water changes to get that level down to at least .25. Don't be afraid to do several changes in a row. Good luck!

NO!!! Don't purchase Ammo Lock.

It's YOUR job to eliminate the excess ammonia. With a reading of 4.0, I'm honestly very surprised that all of your fish haven't died.

You MUST do an immediately 50% water change. Then do another 50% water change. This will bring your ammonia down to 1.0.

You MUST use Prime each time you do the water change. You do not use Prime as a second thought when your ammonia reading is high.

I agree with the others. You've got lots of serious reading to do in order to save these fish. You also need to immediately rehome the fish that are not appropriate for this tank, like the shark.

You're doing the right thing by asking questions. That's how you learn! (y)

Back
Top Bottom