Too much filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnalbach

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
I am starting a 180 gallon freshwater tank. I was given a wet/dry filter that holds 5 gallons of bio balls. I am purchasing a koralia 2 powerhead to help move the water in the tank along with the return. I was told that i would probably need a canister filter to help with the maintenance and any junk that falls to the bottom of the tank. The filter suggested was Rena Filstar XP3. Is this overkill and a waste of money?

not over kill nor a waste of money. if you put some sponges in the wet dry to help collect partials floating around you might not even need the canister. though i am a big fan of protection..... having a 2nd filter is great in case one fails.

ok good to know...I am just trying to see if I can save a few bucks and hold off on the canister filter for a bit.

If money is no object, over filtration is not possible in my book. Everyone knows, Bigger = Better. On a budget I would work with the existing wet/dry first.

Back
Top Bottom