Top for Betta Tank Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am new to fish-keeping and while I have been waiting for my 29 gallon to cycle I bought a 5 gallon on Craigslist to keep a Betta.:whistle:

I just finished my hard-scape and have started my fishless cycle as of today. (y)

However, the glass pieces that go over the top of the tank leave some room and I know can Bettas jump, do I need to do something about the gaps?

If so, would it be better to buy a new lid or rig something together? I am not very handy but I can do basic easy things ( so suggestions on a cheap easy fix would be appreciated).

Attached are a few pictures so you can see what I mean:
1. The top of the tank, there are gaps in both front and back.
2. Showing how lights sits on top
3. What my tank looks like so far

Attachments

• top of tank.jpg
    top of tank.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 5 gal light.jpg
    5 gal light.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 74
  • tank tank.jpg
    tank tank.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 74
I am new to fish-keeping and while I have been waiting for my 29 gallon to cycle I bought a 5 gallon on Craigslist to keep a Betta.:whistle:

I just finished my hard-scape and have started my fishless cycle as of today. (y)

However, the glass pieces that go over the top of the tank leave some room and I know can Bettas jump, do I need to do something about the gaps?

If so, would it be better to buy a new lid or rig something together? I am not very handy but I can do basic easy things ( so suggestions on a cheap easy fix would be appreciated).

Attached are a few pictures so you can see what I mean:
1. The top of the tank, there are gaps in both front and back.
2. Showing how lights sits on top
3. What my tank looks like so far

Bettas are not prone to jumping unless there is an ammonia spike in the water or they are fighting with another member of their species. The lid looks fine to me.

Edit: Also, if you add some low light plants, your Betta would appreciate it, and it would reduce the chance of jumping.

Floating plants like frogbit or dwarf water lettuce would also be very much appreciated by your betta.

I agree with az, that tank looks kinda bright (that's fine) so it is good to offer some shade too. Speaking of the light, that is a nice spectrum.

As to your question, just go to staples and buy a cheap plastic folder and cut it about half an inch wider than you need it and tape it on. :)

I also respectfully disagree with fish enthusiast. Betta's are known jumpers. Not all of them do it, but it is a good idea to take some precautions regardless

I was planning to add Java Moss and Phoenix Moss and I also ordered some almond leaf because I heard it lowers pH and Bettas like it. (I have a natural pH 7.4.) Would the almond leaf be enough to block light or is it a more the merrier kind of thing? Thanks for the plastic folder idea I never would have thought of that! Much better than having to buy a new top.

The light came with the tank so I don't know much about it. How can you tell it's a good spectrum? Does that mean I could grow a variety of plants with it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I agree with az, that tank looks kinda bright (that's fine) so it is good to offer some shade too. Speaking of the light, that is a nice spectrum.

As to your question, just go to staples and buy a cheap plastic folder and cut it about half an inch wider than you need it and tape it on. :)

I also respectfully disagree with fish enthusiast. Betta's are known jumpers. Not all of them do it, but it is a good idea to take some precautions regardless

+1 to this as a betta keeper of 40+ bettas

Looks like a T8 bulb. Probably daylight 10000k

Just meant it looked nice with the decor. A light that would be more efficient for your plants would be a floramax bulb. Not mandatory though. Unless almond leaves are easy to get, you don't really need them. Betta's will be comfortable in most reasonable pH's. I've kept them at 6.4-7.8. If you like the look of weak tea than go for it. Not trying to talk you out of it, just pointing out it is more of a preference pick than a necessary one.

Another thing you can do to dim the light is to get a somewhat clear folder and put it on the cover where the light sits so it filters some out. Something that is lightly misted but still transparent works best.

Thanks for the light dimming tips. I'll see what I can work out

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom