Total beginner: 20gal community help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

furfreemi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! So I'm a total newbie when it comes to aquariums, but I'm looking to invest in a 20gallon freshwater tank. I've been reading up on different types of fish and everything, its all a bit overwhelming.

Do you guys think something as simple as 8 or so neon tetras and 6-8 zebra danios would be an ok way to start out, or should I throw in some more diversity? (I've read all the info on cycling and prepping your tank, just asking in regards to an established community)
Also, would something like a ghost/glass shrimp work well in this environment?

Thanks! :)

I personally love cory cats. I small school of 4-6 albinos might be up your alley. They are entertaining fish...I have one that likes to jet from one end of the tank to the other, plowing through any fish that get in his way. If you go with Pygmy cories you can get away with more.

Ghost shrimp work well in an established environment from my experience, but they are entertaining as well. Snails are also fun to watch...I have a mystery snail and honestly he might be one of my favorite tank inhabitants. Just be careful, some are prolific breeders.

Have you read up on the nitrogen cycle yet? I strongly suggest you do, it is the foundation of fish keeping.

Best of luck to you, and welcome to the hobby!

I've been obsessed with this site:AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

I've probably run 15 or better different configurations on my 2 cycling tanks. It will tell you if your picks are compatible, how often and how much water to change, how stocked you are, what to keep the temperature at, etc.

Note* They say the minimum to keep danios in is a 20 gallon long because they are very active swimmers and darters.

Anyway, have fun running your tank configurations on that site.

to each his own

I think that would be a fine start! Really, under-stocking is not a problem, as long as you are enjoying your tank. IMO it is better to stock lightly until you fall in love with a fish, then stocking your tank without knowing really what fish you'd enjoy. Taking it slow is great! And yes I think the shrimp would be ok with those schooling fish and would help to keep your substrate clean.
+1 on the corys though. They are super nice little bottom feeders if you are looking for something like that.

Remember as long as you enjoy it and your fish are healthy and happy, it's a good aquarium. Sit back and enjoy! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom