Total clean out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twinguppy81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys had my biorb tank set up for around 6 weeks now, got 3 guppies only, but want to do a 100 % tank clean, remove some horrible gravel and add some plants, now if I do this I take it I keep half of aquarium water from tank to put back in ( good bacteria) then fresh water on top???

Do biorbs have any filter media of just an under gravel filter? If its just the under gravel filter then the bacteria will be colonizing the gravel. There are next to no bacteria in the water itself. To swap it out you will have to leave the old gravel in the tank (in a mesh bag) to help seed then new gravel with bacteria for 2-4 weeks. The tank will probably experience a mini cycle (spikes in ammonia and nitrite) so close monitoring and water changes will be needed. Having plants with an under gravel filter is usually a nono. The root system can clog up the filter. You could have things like java fern, moss and anubias tied to decor to avoid this.

Hi mumm of two, yes I have ceramic media, and was told not to wash it only in aquarium water as it has the good bacteria, so I cant put it back into tank. The filter is in the middle of tank at the bottom, and thats where the air stone is in which I need to change, so before I put anymore fish in I want it changed. I have cycle also but not going to start it until I have my tank sorted is this ok??

Twinguppy81 said:
Hi mumm of two, yes I have ceramic media, and was told not to wash it only in aquarium water as it has the good bacteria, so I cant put it back into tank. The filter is in the middle of tank at the bottom, and thats where the air stone is in which I need to change, so before I put anymore fish in I want it changed. I have cycle also but not going to start it until I have my tank sorted is this ok??

Keeping the media should prevent a full cycle but since it's a newish tank I would expect a mini cycle when you change the gravel. It should be fine as long as you test ( with liquid test kit) the water for ammonia and nitrite regularly and do a water change when needed. When you say 'cycle' I'm assuming you mean a bottled cycling product? Since the tank has had fish for 6 weeks the cycle would have started 6 weeks ago. It should be nearing completion.

I have got my ceramic media also which I have been told only to clean in the aquarium water to keep good bacteria. Also should I keep some of the aquarium water to put back in after I have done the change?? Plus should I use my nutrafin cycle once my tank is completed??

I may have repated myself there sorry!! Just most of the time I dont get a reply!!

Hi if you are keeping the filter media and keep as much of the water as possible,then you should be OK. But like mumma of two has said you will experience some 'mini' spikes, so feed the fish very little and do daily small water changes and yes i personally would use the nutrafin cycle but i do know some members on here do not rate it? If you got it I definitely would use it.

Twinguppy81 said:
I have got my ceramic media also which I have been told only to clean in the aquarium water to keep good bacteria. Also should I keep some of the aquarium water to put back in after I have done the change?? Plus should I use my nutrafin cycle once my tank is completed??

I would keep some water for the simple fact it will be less stressful on the fish than a 100% water change. Personally I'd return the cycling product. A lot of them don't even contain the right type of bacteria. A tank will cycle just fine without additives. :)

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress :)
Like i said not every one believes nutrafin cycle works:) I only use it when i do a major change and it gives me confidence it will settle quicker,so regardless of whether it works or not it gives me confidence, the choice is yours:)

Back
Top Bottom