Total Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That decision will be prompted by what you intend to keep in the tank. If you have a significant amount of inhabitants and/ore plants, it's a good idea. There is an article on planted tanks and whether or not you would want to use CO2 injection. Having two heaters is a good idea, especially if one should fail.

I would use 2 200W heaters on opposite sides, should give a nice even heat distribution (you ever hit that cold spot while swimming in a lake? I'm sure the fish like it just as much) :D

Glad you are enjoying it here.

There was some advice about ammonia, before you buy it, shake it, if there is any bubbles then it isn't pure and contains detergents, that's about all I remember I've seeded all my tanks from established (instant established)

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have any established tanks to start me off. So hopefully I can pull off the fishless cycle without any complications.
Meanwhile I will just have to research fish and find a good place to buy supplies in my area....

yea just work out with the fishless cycle and see how the testing goes and dont forget water conditioners and testing the hardness of the water and the pH try to keep it at a nice 7.0 if possible

the pH try to keep it at a nice 7.0 if possible
That is never necessary. A stable pH is better than the "ideal" pH. Depending on the fish you want to keep, you may be trying to raise the pH or lower it. Most fish can handle what comes out of the tap (of course, after you use dechlor :wink:).

I'll add my 2 cents
Heaters-2 heaters would be a good idea, I might even go with a 300W and a 200W or 2 300W
Filters--Either 2 canisters or one canister and a penguin 330 or Aquaclear of about the same size
Don't worry about ph unless it turns out to be really out of whack-perfect ph is of no importance
Online places can be the best place to order filters and heaters--Big Als is an AA favorite and much cheaper than any LFS
It is much, much easier to maintain water quality in a large tank than a small tank, so you are lucky in that respect.
I would recommend either a fishless cycle or bio spira--bio spira is great because it saves about a month of time and allows you to add fish right away
Cichlids are alot of fun and a 100 gallon gives you a ton of options--your first decision is SA or Africans--I'm partial to Africans-but SA are pretty cool too

Thank you poppab...I am guessing that when it comes to filtration it depends on what type of fish I will be investing in. I've also never heard of bio spira...I'll have to do some homework on it....

Yeah, the filtration will depend on what type of fish you get. Most cichlids are extremely messy and require over filtration- just so you know

Bio Spira is an instant cycle product which contains the live beneficial bacteria needed to break down ammonia through the nitrogen cycle thus allowing you to add all the new fish you want to your tank all at once without cycling your tank first. IT IS THE ONLY SUCH PRODUCT THAT WORKS. Do not use any other instant cycle product, it won't work.

WOW...sounds very convenient...ehehe.

Hereis a dumb question. What is the best way to cover the back and sides of your tank?

Tar paper, black paint, alot of things work. You can even just go buy some backing at the lfs if you want.

I would not cover the sides of the tank. Often, you need the extra views--especially if a fish is ill or hurt.

Thank you for the good point Menagerie!

Another question...what kind of powerhead would you guys suggest? Should I use an airpump as well?

Back
Top Bottom