Total noob 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackandwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Total noob indeed!!!!

I just made this post in the intro forum, which now I realize was an inappropriate forum for my questions :oops:. So here it is with a bit of editing.

I am hoping to start my first aquarium and would like some help with figuring things out and planning properly.

I have my eye on a 36 gallon tank and was generally hoping to work my way to getting 3-4 angle fish, 5-6 schooling fish (either tetra, mollies, tiger stripe, or bala shark), 1 algae eating fish (to help keep things clean) and maybe a red tailed shark. (I realize this might be too much fish inch for the tank. I'm considering a larger tank).

O.K. so here are my questions:

1. from what I understand the angel fish will probably eat the tetra, so I'll have to settle on a more compatible schooling type fish. I'd like a fish type that would have a really nice vibrant color (red, orange, or yellow). What fish would you guys suggest?

2. One of the websites I've been reading suggested that angelfish should be limited to one fish per tank or more than 6 fish per tank, otherwise one of the fish will become a bully and make the others miserable (if there are 2-3 fish). I was wondering if that would still be true in case of 4 fish? because from what I understand angelfish can grow quite large and if I have to have at least 6 then there wont be room for any other fish.

3. I am coming to realize that if I want to get a fish population and variety that I like a 36 gallon tank wont be sufficient. I was wondering how much more work a 50-60 gallon tank would be?

4. I have been looking up fish tanks online and it seems like their length is generally 30" or 36". The wall that I had in mind for the tank is 33" and I haven't been able to find a tank that would fit that wall and be 50 gallons or larger. Where would you guys suggest is the best place to shop for a tank? Regardless of the size, whats the best place to shop for a high quality and reasonably priced tank? (I've found some sites with tanks that are the right dimensions but the prices are upwards of $1500)

I really wouldnt go for a bala shark. Not really suitable for home aquariums. Need a tank with a length of at least 2metres

Here is a chart for fish compatibility:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/fwcompatibility_chart.cfm

As far as aquarium suggestions, when you pick a tank, if it's an " all in one" type ( lights, filter..) Check as many reviews as possible. I found some of the "all in ones" (lights) make the water temp too hot for freshwater fish without purchasing a chiller. ( which is very expensive)

I researched and researched for myself. Found the perfect tank. Ordered it. Received it. Feeding door was broke. Called manufacturer and found the tank was discontinued. UGH!!! So, aside from reading all possible reviews of the system you pick, I would suggest calling the manufacturer to ensure your selection is still a current model.

Back
Top Bottom