Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 10-05-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
lyric112209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 171
trace of ammonia

So I've had a cycled tank for about 2 weeks..I did a fish in cycle with 4 neon tetras, I just added 2 more fish 4 days ago and ive been testing the water everyday..today I got a slight reading of ammonia...wasn't quite the 2nd reading on the card nor was it 0. Will the tank adjust to this new number of fish?...nitrites are 0 and nitrates are around 10
__________________

__________________
lyric112209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric112209
So I've had a cycled tank for about 2 weeks..I did a fish in cycle with 4 neon tetras, I just added 2 more fish 4 days ago and ive been testing the water everyday..today I got a slight reading of ammonia...wasn't quite the 2nd reading on the card nor was it 0. Will the tank adjust to this new number of fish?...nitrites are 0 and nitrates are around 10
It will take time but yes it will. You only built up enough BB to handle the amount of bio load you cycles your tank with (the 4 tetras). Just keep an eye on your water params and wait until things 0 out again before adding more fish.
__________________

__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 1,622
After only 2 weeks your tank has not completed its cycling unless you are VERY lucky. I would not add anymore fish until you are certain the tank has finished cycling. On average it takes 6-8 weeks. Every time you add fish, the BB will need to adjust so it is good you are going as slowly as you are. Have you seen any nitrites as of yet?
__________________
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
lyric112209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca
After only 2 weeks your tank has not completed its cycling unless you are VERY lucky. I would not add anymore fish until you are certain the tank has finished cycling. On average it takes 6-8 weeks. Every time you add fish, the BB will need to adjust so it is good you are going as slowly as you are. Have you seen any nitrites as of yet?
You misunderstood what I said...my tank has been a fish in cycle wuth 4 neon tetrad for 2 months...just the past 2 weeks it has been cycled...and I added 2 more fish and after 3-4 days I notice a slight amount of ammonia
__________________
lyric112209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
lyric112209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.h2012

It will take time but yes it will. You only built up enough BB to handle the amount of bio load you cycles your tank with (the 4 tetras). Just keep an eye on your water params and wait until things 0 out again before adding more fish.
Ok thanks!
__________________
lyric112209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrs.h2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric112209

Ok thanks!
The way I understand fish in cycles to work (and I could be misunderstanding things since I'm somewhat of a newbie) is that in a sense once you get cycled the first time anytime you add fish you go through a mini cycle in a sense and you have to wait for your BB to catch up to the new bio load, so it's kinda like starting a new tank but having stuff to seed it with to speed the process up.
__________________
Mrs.h2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
lyric112209's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 171
Ok got ya...makes sense...
__________________
lyric112209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
shellieca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ontario, CA
Posts: 1,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyric112209 View Post
You misunderstood what I said...my tank has been a fish in cycle wuth 4 neon tetrad for 2 months...just the past 2 weeks it has been cycled...and I added 2 more fish and after 3-4 days I notice a slight amount of ammonia

Ahhhh, makse sense. Yes it is normal for there to be a slight spike for adding fish as you are adding to the bio load & creating more work for the BB. It is very smart to add a few fish then wait a couple of weeks or so to add any more.
__________________

__________________
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ammonia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×