Transferring Media for Quarantine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to set up a 10 gallon quarantine tank and have questions on cycling same.

My main tank is young, having only completed the cycle 4 weeks ago.

Two weeks ago I won a battle over Ich.

I'd like to grab some media from my main tank to jumpstart the cycle in my quarantine, but I'm a little afraid to mess with the media as the tank is pretty young and I don't want to tip off issues in my main tank.

Should I be concerned with removing some substrate, or decorations from the main tank to the quarantine to help with the quarantine cycle?

What about the ICH, has it been long enough (2 weeks) removed from the main tank to use the media without the risk of infecting the quarantine tank?

If you don't need the tank running right now you could always just set up the QT tank and clean out your filters in the water running in the QT tank. Meaning take your current filters and squeeze / rub them into the water and get it all cloudy and gross. You'll seed the new filter / media with the existing bacteria, therefor jumpstarting a cycle and would probably be ready relatively quick.

I guess it could cause a minicycle. Do you have extra filter media or sponge? If youre afraid you could stuff as much as you could in your filter, or run 2 filters at the same time on the main tank for a week. Then transfer a filter/extra filter media into the qt tank.

Yes I'm concerned about a mini cycle....

I'm also concerned that the ICH parasite while not visible is still present, so I'm afraid to use my main tank media.

I don't need the qt tank for an emergency situation, I just want to add some more fish.... but this time I want to qt first.

I may have to just do a seperate cycle for my QT - just looking for possible other options....

thegundog said:
Yes I'm concerned about a mini cycle....

I'm also concerned that the ICH parasite while not visible is still present, so I'm afraid to use my main tank media.

Oh i know how that feels! I have ich too.
Well, if you did a 2 week treatment and there's no more sign of ich, you probably killed most of it. I think you will be ok. If you decide to run 2 filters for a week then you should be in the clear by then. Plus, if ich does get into a qt tank (which i dont think will happen), at least it's in a qt tank ;) maybe just to be sure you can bring the heat in the qt tank? Well anyways, ich dies after 72 hours without a fish host i believe. So if you keep your qt tank fishless for a few days it will probably be fine?

I do have an extra sponge filter for the QT that I can use as an extra in the main tank AND in 1-2 weeks I maybe in a better position to also rinse/squeeze my main tank filter into the QT water to also help things along....

I wish I had known (how many time have you said that) to throw in an extra filter on the main tank when I initially cycled. It would make QTing SO much easier.

DO I HAVE ANY OTHER OPTIONS?

Since your main tank is fairly new I'd be leery about removing any media from it this soon. I think your best bet is to run your extra sponge filter into the main tank for a couple of weeks and then transfer it to the QT. When you add fish to the QT just test daily and make sure there aren't any toxin spikes and if there are just do some water changes as needed. There shouldn't be a problem unless you overload the QT with fish that the filter bacteria can't handle.

Mmm... Cycle the qt tank separately? ;)
Do you have a friend with an established tank? I would send you one of my seeded sponges but i think it would freeze en route!

I would send you one of my seeded sponges but i think it would freeze en route!

WOW - that is SO NICE of you to suggest this as an option!

I decided to add my 10 gallon sponge filter to my main tank and I'll let it seed up and then transfer it....

Should I wait 2 weeks or 3 weeks before transferring the new sponge?

There are some excellent cycle articles and information on this site (Eco, Library Girl & others) which I followed to a tee and it worked just as described.

The one item I would add to the information is to emphasize the addition of a SECOND filtration system when you are performing your main tank cycle. The second filter of course would be used for your quarantine tank.

If I had added a q-tank filter during my initial cycle I would have saved a lot of time, trouble and $.....

I patiently performed the cycle and then added my first fish without quarantining, of course then I received my first lesson in dealing with ICH!

I don't have expensive fish, but I don't like losing ANY of them and really want to properly quarantine.

I've struggled with setting up and understanding how to properly set up a quarantine tank that is not running all of the time, but thanks to those who have added to my thread I think I'm on the right track!

Merry Christmas!!!!!!

The longer you can wait the better, two weeks at least, 3-4 if possible.

Sponge filters are small and fairly cheap, so it's a good idea to have an extra one running in your main tank at all times just to have a spare for an emergency hospital tank or QT. :) Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom