Treating Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmyJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When is ammonia too high? I read that any bit is dangerous to your fish, so I was wondering when I should be treating my tank. My ammonia us .25-.50. Is this fine and should be left alone to work itself out?

It best to keep it below .25 if possible. Once your tank is cycled it should be staying at 0ppm.

Just do a 50% water change when you are at .25ppm or above and you should be fine until you tank becomes self regulating.

Thank you. I was feeling like I was treating my tank too much. I'll go ahead with a water change. I wish I had found this group BEFORE I started my tank. I would have saved myself a lot if time, money, and heartache.

Hi only zero ammonia is acceptable. How are you cycling the tank? Or has it been set up awhile? Just be patient and try not to rush and you will reap the rewards in the long run:)

Unfortunately, I didn't know anything about cycling before I got started. I used the bacteria in a bottle. After a week I put fish in. After some loss (as you can imagine) I now have 4 male guppies and 6 neon tetra. It's a 20gal setup with a medium amount of live plants.

Hi yes starting an aquarium is much more than most people realise,but with patience and perseverance most problems can be overcome. So I personally would add nutrafin cycle,do small daily water changes say 10% with treated water{use a dechlorinator}Do not add anymore fishes until the ammonia is under control.
Footnote - some people say nutrafin doesn't work and is all a sales pitch? Now I believe it helps so that's good enough for me:)

Back
Top Bottom