Triop Community Tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dios

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! So sometime in early 2016 I had ordered one of those children's Triop Kits where you get a fish and put triop eggs in them and hatch triops. As a kid they would never work,

however I managed to hatch 4 triops, one of which died (maybe due to complications) what I did was I followed the instructions how to set it up, instead of using bottled water or tap, I used water from my established tank instead.

Worked like a charm. Well, after a month or so, they were fairly large so I added them to my Community Tank with a Betta and 4 White Cloud Mountain minnows, sadly, me forgetting that Bettas attack anything with long wavy tails, of course my Betta chased them around, and I never saw them again.

So I'm back again looking to start hatching more, (I only used a quarter of the batch I used in 2016 so I'm gonna use all the stuff in the package this time) I was just wondering,
If I successfully hatch 3 of them, would they be able to live happily in a 10 Gallon tank with about 10 guppies?

I'm not sure if anyone even knows what a Triop is, but they look like Horshoe Crabs and they have relatively small life spans and are fairly hardy and can swim but prefer to skim across the floor.

Just search up Triop.
I was thinking of going 20 Gallons but I'm on a fairly small budget right now. But if 20 is recommended then I'll definetly do 20

Also it has been done before, just with other fish,
Search it on YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what a triop is, but have never considered adding them to a fish tank, or even heard of anyone doing so. Please keep us posted. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

I researched this very recently, because one of those kits were a prize in a raffle my daughter bid on.

The problem with adding them to a community tank is that their life cycle is about 90 days, and you have to simulate the "drying up" bit to trigger egg laying.

I was really torn on it. They certainly are amazing creatures.

Will keep you posted!
I will definetly provide pictures and such.
This time I won't make the mistake and put betta with them lol, it'll take about a month or so I think for them to almost fully be developed, so if you're still fairly interested I'll be posting every weekend usually on a Saturday.

And yeah I heard about the drying up thing,
Not sure how I'm gonna go about that as the water needs to be fairly low and there's going to be other fish, so I'll see if I can get a separate tank and put them in there.

Thanks!!

Day 1

So, I just put in the eggs about 10 minutes ago, they come in a small bag with sand mixed with eggs. I'm pretty sure the eggs are the brown. I am having an issue though as there's a few eggs (about 3-5) and one of them are like stuck together and floating. A few eggs are floating a few eggs are at the bottom. Supposedly ,

"Eggs begin to hatch in approximately 20 Hours and continue to hatch for 5 days."

So I'm not entirely sure but I feel like the floating eggs could pose a threat to them even hatching. I don't want a 50/50 batch, if I could get close to everyone of them to hatch that would be perfect. However I'm not sure if floating eggs are a bad thing

They come in a dry plastic package inside of sand as in nature, Triops Lay hard eggs so that when the season comes where the harsh summer dries up all the water in the puddles and small ponds, the eggs will dry up and become intact so that when the wet months come and refill the small ponds or puddles, the eggs could hatch and begin a new cycle.
However I would love to know if floating eggs are a bad thing. Is it because they're dry and have been in packaging or they're supposed to do that or it's completely fine?

Back
Top Bottom