Tropical and cold water cycleing- same steps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this website is only for Marin and tropicals tanks but I'm going to be the odd one out and ask a cold water tank question :p
Iv cycled tropical tanks successfully but I'm setting up a cold water tank. Is it pretty much exactly the same? Add seeded media (from a tropical tank) and ammonia at 5ppm and just wait

This site is for all tanks, not just marine and tropical. And yes cycling coldwater is the same as cycling a tropical tank. I don't do fishless cycling so I won't comment on that aspect of it.

Ah okay that's really good then :) thats all I wanted to know thank you

Exactly how 'cold' are you thinking about? The cycling process is exactly the same as long as its not too cold. Or do you just mean a tank without a heater?

Yeah I mean a tank with out a heater, I should have made myself clearer sorry

I cycled a cold water tank doing a fishless cycle and used a heater while cycling it. Once the filter was cycled, I took out the heater and then added fish. I think the bacteria multiply faster in the warmer temps, so using a heater may have allowed the tank to cycle faster. I used seeded media so I can't say for certain

I know the bacteria multiply fastest at 30 degrees? Anyway I'm not sure what I'm doing basically I'm setting up a 100L tank and I'm going to have whit cloud mountain minnows, iv heard different things about them saying they should be kept at 20 degrees and saying they can be kept at 26 degrees

I have a school of white cloud minnows (love em) and I keep them in a tank at 22C. They do fine at lower temps, but I have plants in the tank and the plants do a little better with a heater on a low setting.

I cycled the tank at 84F which is about 29 C, then I turned down the heater when I did the final water change and put the fish in once the temps were down. I actually took out the heater when I put the fish in, but when the plants weren't doing so well I put it back with the setting turned way down and everyone is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom