Tropical freshwater fish stocking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Travis32

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have made it through the cycling stage! :D My question is regarding stocking of fish. My wife has made a list of fish she wants in the tank, and I need your guys expertise on what she can and can't have, also the quantity needed to keep fish happy! The tank is 75 gallons and I have 2 marineland HOB filters running (Penguin 350 and Emperor 400) Currently my tank is set at 78 degrees. No live plants or rocks. Only artificial plants and rocks. I know this is to many fish, but was just wanting opinions on the best (easiest) ones to have. Here is the list:

1) Zebra Danios (currently have 5 in tank)
2) 1-2 (male) marbled, veil, or koi Angelfish
3) 4-6 Bosemani Rainbow fish
4) 4-6 Madagascan Rainbow fish
5) Cory Catfish (Don't know how many are required)
6) Green or Lemon Cobra
7) Phantom guppies
8) Endler's liverbearer
9) Pitbull Plecos
10) 2 Siamese algae eater
11) Ryukan Goldfish
12) 8 Jumbo Neon Tetras
13) Bleeding heart
14) Type of shrimp

That is my wife's list. Please don't hesitate to tell me what can and can't work in my tank. Thanks everyone.

Okay so I know goldfish are kind of a cold water fish so they won't work with your tropical selection, and your shrimp will prolly get eaten by the angels and rainbows. That's my knowledge on the topic hah. Still kind of a newb lol

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So, angelfish in community tanks can be tricky and you kinda have to plan around them. Angelfish would eat guppies, danios, neon tetras and shrimp.

Goldfish are a bad option unless you want to plan around them as well. Zebra danios tolerate cooler temperatures so they can be mixed with goldfish but everything else you list wouldn't do well with them.

I would decide on whether you want goldfish, angelfish, or neither- and then make stocking decisions from there.

OK let me chime in on some of that...

Cory cats need 5-6 school
If you want to keep the fry of your live bearers or allow them a chance of survival, you need hiding spots, usually Java moss.
Siamese algea eater eat Java moss.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. So from my list what fish would work well with Angelfish?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you get a very small angel, usually bred angels, and not wild caught, then you can put in any tetras you like.

I have angels with ember tetras and I haven't lost one yet.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I have made it through the cycling stage! :D My question is regarding stocking of fish. My wife has made a list of fish she wants in the tank, and I need your guys expertise on what she can and can't have, also the quantity needed to keep fish happy! The tank is 75 gallons and I have 2 marineland HOB filters running (Penguin 350 and Emperor 400) Currently my tank is set at 78 degrees. No live plants or rocks. Only artificial plants and rocks. I know this is to many fish, but was just wanting opinions on the best (easiest) ones to have. Here is the list:

2) 1-2 (male) marbled, veil, or koi Angelfish
3) 4-6 Bosemani Rainbow fish
4) 4-6 Madagascan Rainbow fish
5) Cory Catfish (Don't know how many are required)
6) Green or Lemon Cobra
7) Phantom guppies
8) Endler's liverbearer
9) Pitbull Plecos
10) 2 Siamese algae eater
11) Ryukan Goldfish
12) 8 Jumbo Neon Tetras
13) Bleeding heart
14) Type of shrimp

That is my wife's list. Please don't hesitate to tell me what can and can't work in my tank. Thanks everyone.

2) 1-2 (male) marbled, veil, or koi Angelfish - Will work but you may eventually run into territorial issues; if you go with angelfish choose the rest of your stock based on the angel
3) 4-6 Bosemani Rainbow fish - you could keep these with just about anything, supposed to be peaceful fish
4) 4-6 Madagascan Rainbow fish - Don't know anything about these
5) Cory Catfish (Don't know how many are required) - typically, you want at least 6 in a group. In such a big tank don't be scared to do 12-15 cory cats, preferably of one species. Peppered cory's are a nice, big type of cory.
6) Green or Lemon Cobra - Do you mean guppies? If so, these will work with just about anything. Word of caution: BREED EXTREMELY FAST :D
7) Phantom guppies - Same as above
8) Endler's liverbearer - Pretty much just small guppies, they are pretty and get along with pretty much anything.
9) Pitbull Plecos - Plecos are in general just poop factories. They don't help clean algae that much, just poop. Most are night active anyway and need driftwood to rasp on so you might want to rethink the plecos.
10) 2 Siamese algae eater - These should be OK, but I really have no experience with them. Make sure you don't get CHINESE Algae Eaters, as they get up to 12" long and when they are bigger they will suck the slime coat off fish and kill them.
11) Ryukan Goldfish - Being a cold water fish, I'd keep them in a species only tank and only getting 2-3 fish. They have a HUGE bioload and are very messy fish. If you want to, go ahead but then that excludes almost all fish from the list above.
12) 8 Jumbo Neon Tetras - If these are Cardinal tetras, go for it! (y) Easy schooling fish and are hardier than normal neon tetras. You could up the school to at least 10 though.
13) Bleeding heart - Pretty much the same as any other schooling fish listed here already :)
14) Type of shrimp - I would stick with ghost or amano shrimp just because they get bigger than any cardiania species and are easier to care for. Only add amano shrimp to an established tank (4-5 months old) Start with ghost shrimp and see how they do and if you like them. Don't keep them with angelfish as they will eat them once they get bigger.

We'll help you compile a stocking list, and stocking a tank this size should be a lot of fun. You'll probably complete your stocking after a couple months and it will make for a great tank! :)

Thank you for all the helpful information Nils! I really appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G360P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom