Trouble with water parameters in new180L/45 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billythekid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Have recently started a new tank and chosen to do a fishless cycle.

In the tank currently there is aqua soil similar to Amazonia that is made and sold by a LFS, I was told on purchase that this would leach some ammonia and possibly lower PH, I also have a thin layer of white sand over the top, there are two fairly sizeable pieces of driftwood which I know will lower PH as well as some live plants.

My tap water PH is 7.2 while currently my tanks PH is 6.0 (which is as low as the test kit goes, so could possibly be even lower).

I believe that this is too low to begin cycling the tank, I have tried water changes to raise the PH back up but it drops back down within 24-48 hours.

I do not know the GH or KH of either of my tap water or tank water.

So basically after all this my question is what is my next move, should I purchase something sustainable for stabilising water such as crushed coral? Is it worth investing in GH, KH test kits? Should I start raising ammonia levels and attempt to cycle at the current PH level?

(Please note: I would like to if possible keep the driftwood in my finished tank, so at this stage removing it isn’t an option)

IMO, the noted substrate is leaking tannic acid, much like Peat moss would, lowering the PH. Keep the driftwood, but go to your local landscape company and purchase an appropriate size
peice of Texas Holey Rock / limestone and use it in your hardscape. The limestone will slightly raise the PH and buffer against a PH crash. You can also put the noted crushed coral in your filter for the same result. In the mean time continue cycling your tank.

IMO, the noted substrate is leaking tannic acid, much like Peat moss would, lowering the PH. Keep the driftwood, but go to your local landscape company and purchase an appropriate size
peice of Texas Holey Rock / limestone and use it in your hardscape. The limestone will slightly raise the PH and buffer against a PH crash. You can also put the noted crushed coral in your filter for the same result. In the mean time continue cycling your tank.
^^ +1 ^^
If you go with CC place it in a bag so you can remove some if necessary.
As far as the test kits go there is not much good and easy you can do to raise the gh/kh besides what is suggested. Knowing where the tank is at is not necessary ,but handy. The liquid test kits {API} last a couple years for most.

Back
Top Bottom