Trying to do right by rescue betta, fin rot and possibly velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I took a betta from a friend a couple of days ago. I didn't realize how bad his condition was or I would've taken him sooner. I tried getting my friend to use a heater and filter, even gave her some spares I had but the filter was "too big" and she "didn't have enough outlets" for the heater :facepalm:

Anyways, I have a 5 gallon currently cycling with ammonia so he has to stay in his 2.5 gallon with no filter, but I did add a heater and have been using stresscoat along with daily water changes. He's very lethargic, he's perked up a bit but sometimes I think he's dead at the bottom. Luckily he's still been eating, and he's been getting more into his food. At first he would stare at it and then verrry slowly grab it, now he chases it a bit as it falls and eats much more quickly.

He has some fin rot, but what really worries me is his coloring. He's got grey over most of his body, and when I checked with a flashlight I found gold dusting on his tail and a bit near his face, there isn't much on his body aside from his face. I've never seen velvet, as I'm pretty new to the hobby, but I'm pretty sure that's what's going on. It's something nasty at any rate. I'm getting almond leaves, metroplex and kanaplex today to kind of do a broad spectrum medicating. I also have his tank wrapped in a dark towel to block out any light.

Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him? What are the steps I should be taking?

There's also a chance I contaminated my beautiful boy Presley's 10 gallon home. I didn't notice that it was possibly velvet and used the same cup to pull water from my tanks for water tests the last couple of days

The last picture shows a dark spot on his side, next to it is a lighter spot that was just a smudge on the tank. He does have one small red dot on his gills but I couldn't get a good shot of that.

Attachments

• IMG_5209.jpg
    IMG_5209.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5208.jpg
    IMG_5208.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5191.jpg
    IMG_5191.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5204.jpg
    IMG_5204.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 74
Go buy some melafix use 7days straight. Use 1/2 dosage because it's a betta. ? he looks so pitiful. We have four bettas all rescued and one came with fin rot (not as bad as yours) and a gash across his face. Melafix fixed him right up.

Thanks for the advice! I've decided to give him a bit more time before I medicate. He's already perked up a ton. He's eating well and much more active. He's also started interacting with me, he attacked my hand when I was adding some substrate to his temporary home.

Attachments

• IMG_5211-1.jpg
    IMG_5211-1.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 55
Give him some blood worms as a treat. ? he will be your best friend. Might even dance for you. If way to cute

Back
Top Bottom