Turning my 10g into a 38g tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TraceyB4602

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My question is if I add all the water and gravel decoration ect, but don't add the filter (I need a more powerful for the 38g) will it still be cycled or will I have to go through all the over? I would assume not seeing all the water from the 10 is cycled I just want to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

To be exact, the beneficial bacteria does not live in the water. Most of it lives in the filter and the substrate. Are you putting fish into the 38 gallon tank? Where are the fish from the 10 gallon? I'd still use the old filter even though it's not strong enough for the new tank. The filter will be doing some good and it'll be better than nothing. Remember, if you aren't putting fish into the new tank you will still need to add some ammonia to keep the bacteria alive. Without the ammonia the bacteria will die even with a good filter.

Oh no fishies are going in too. Frank the terminator needs a bigger enviornment to hunt ha. They are still in the 10 gallon, I'm getting the 38 gallon tank tommorow.

I could use the old filter because I guess now my old tank is being taken over for a frog/lizard envornment... : ( oh well its his man cave. Anyways I wanted to change my gravel to sand but should I keep the old gravel until my new filter is settled enough with the bacteria?

I'd cycle the tank with the new sand to begin with. Really the only thing you're doing by installing your old filter is giving the fishless nitrogen cycle a jump-start by providing a bacteria colony to begin with. And as I mentioned before you'll still need to add ammonia periodically during the cycling process. If you've never done a fishless cycle before I suggest you read some of the posts in the "Getting Started" section of the Freshwater Forum. It'll help you step by step on what you'll need to be doing to establish the beneficial bacteria in your new tank. And I'll be around to answer as many of your questions as I can.

Ok so, the Superbowl is this Sunday I'm sure you know and he really want it set up for that. If I just used the substrates that I have will they be ok?

Fishless cycling can take anywhere from 3- 8 weeks, longer if there is a problem. You can cycle a tank with fish but it's not generally considered humane. Having said that, if you to cycle your tank with fish, you need to use hardy fish. I see from your signature that you have zebra danios. They are hardy fish that can handle some ammonia in the tank. If I were in your shoes I'd add the danios and the old filter and prepare yourself to do frequent water changes. If you are willing to commit to testing your water almost daily and changing the water as needed then you should be able to perform a successful cycle without killing any fish. Dying fish will hurt you in the long run. Not only will you lose the fish, but without them your cycle may never happen.

Ok well I guess he has to wait I was hoping for him I didn't need to cycle. I don't want any of my fish dying especially my 2 year old ones.

So as of right now I have 5 zebra danios helping cycle my tank. I am getting odd reading though. Using the master test kit my levels are as followed

Ph 7.0
Nh3 .50ppm - use ammo detox
No2 0ppm
No3 5pm

I find it odd that I have no nitrites and I have nitrates. I did use biozyme to speed the process could this be causing my odd readings? It's been 5 days so far

When I started out, I did much the same as you. Started out with a small tank and upgraded to a 37 tall. The plan was to save the smaller aquarium for a hospital tank, so I removed the fish and dumped all the water and substrate into the larger tank. Moved my filter over and ran it in tandem with the new filter that I had bought. I too had hoped I wouldn't have to do more than a mini cycle, but fact was, the bacteria in the small tank was just not enough to do much in the 37 gal. It did however give me a head start in that I immedately had an nitrite and nitrate reading. I dosed with Safestart and my nitrites went away within just a few hours, but I still had to do PWCs until my ammonia reading went away.

What all did you move into the larger tank? It could be that the bacteria that processes the nitrites has survived the move and is working a bit faster then the bacteria that processes the ammonia. If that is the case- with just the five danios in your tank, your ammonia levels should fall off fairly quickly.

I put everything into the new tank, water and all.

I'm also turning my 10gal into a hospital tank.

So I did a 50% PWC yesterday to get my Nh3 down and reasons are:

PH- 6.5
NH3- .25ppm
NO2- 0ppm
NO3- 0-5 ppm ( it's not yellow but not quite as orange as 5ppm, still slightly orange though)

So I still haven't seen any nitrites but I'm seeing nitrates, it's been 8 days now since I started cycling. I find this kinda weird. Is this normal? I've never experienced this with my 10 gallon, but yet I never used a bacteria to speed things up.

Like I said before, your cycle might not follow normal course because you seeded the tank with substrate from your old tank. Keep testing Nitrites though just to be sure you don't get a spike.

Ok sounds good I'm just getting worried I guess but I am checking everyday can't wait to start seeing nitrites lol

The highest they've gotten was .50 but the last couple days they haven't moved up from .25.

So I came down this morning and my tank is significantly clearer, it's been a bit cloudy for the past week. I haven't tested yet but I'm very excited to see clearer water : ) we're getting somewhere now. I'll post readings soon

Back
Top Bottom