Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Two heaters or one in a 77 gal ?

Hi. I recently pick up a 77 gal tank and It came lots of extras. Came with about five heaters. The guy said he used two at a time on it. I was wonder if this is necessary or can I just use one. Right now Iím using a top fin 300W and a top fin 200W. It came with two fluval 300W heaters. But there not fully submersible and have a knob for the temp but nothing to display what temp your setting it at. Not sure what to use or do here. Any advice would help. Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0514.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	312585Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	312586

Old 04-09-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My preference is to use two than one heater on a large tank. You can heat evenly on both sides of a long tank, and if one malfunctions, you still have the other to help keep things steady until you can replace it.

fearlessfisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessfisch View Post
My preference is to use two than one heater on a large tank. You can heat evenly on both sides of a long tank, and if one malfunctions, you still have the other to help keep things steady until you can replace it.

Okay Iíll do that then to be safe. Should I stick to the ones Iím using or use the fluval ones that match?
Old 04-10-2019, 08:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Generally you run two if the tank is over 4 feet long. But running two regardless gives you a back up if one goes out.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarium Heating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncrief2315 View Post
Hi. I recently pick up a 77 gal tank and It came lots of extras. Came with about five heaters. The guy said he used two at a time on it. I was wonder if this is necessary or can I just use one. Right now Iím using a top fin 300W and a top fin 200W. It came with two fluval 300W heaters. But there not fully submersible and have a knob for the temp but nothing to display what temp your setting it at. Not sure what to use or do here. Any advice would help. Thanks Attachment 312585Attachment 312586
Hello Mon...

Heating depends on the type of fish you keep and how well the heat is distributed in the tank. A couple of dual sponge filters will easily distribute the heat from one heater. If the heater is a good, dependable brand like Aqueon, your tank just needs one that's 300 watts. Position it in the middle with the sponge filters on either side. If you keep an indoor tank and have your thermostat at home set for roughly 68 degrees, most fish would be fine.

B
Old 04-10-2019, 02:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury View Post
Hello Mon...

Heating depends on the type of fish you keep and how well the heat is distributed in the tank. A couple of dual sponge filters will easily distribute the heat from one heater. If the heater is a good, dependable brand like Aqueon, your tank just needs one that's 300 watts. Position it in the middle with the sponge filters on either side. If you keep an indoor tank and have your thermostat at home set for roughly 68 degrees, most fish would be fine.

B

Okay that sounds better. Iím going to use one for now but have a spare just in case itís not enough. Is aqueon a good one to go with? Iím using topfin right now and heard that their crap. I want to replace it.
Old 04-10-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moncrief2315 View Post
Okay that sounds better. Iím going to use one for now but have a spare just in case itís not enough. Is aqueon a good one to go with? Iím using topfin right now and heard that their crap. I want to replace it.
Hello...

I like Aqueon. The brand isn't too pricey and the heavy coating makes it unbreakable. The sponge filters are inexpensive, but work as well as anything else. Add to the filters, a good air pump with two outlets and you're good.

B

Tags
ate, eat, eater, heat, heater, heaters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com