Type of fish with apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kamek909

Aquarium Advice Activist
What kind of fish can live with a apistogramma? Its for a 10 gallon. I like neon tetras but wat kind of fish live well with apistogrammas.

No problem. Check out the various lists for 'micro' fish, most of them are much more suitable for smaller tanks like ten gallons than your average pet shop fish.

No problem. Check out the various lists for 'micro' fish, most of them are much more suitable for smaller tanks like ten gallons than your average pet shop fish.

The thing is that i want alot of fish in my 10 gal well only what i can stock in it but i would like several of fish. Can you please give me a stock idea for my 10 gal? Not what type of fish but a whole stock for my 10 gal. Diff ideas would be very helpful but if you cant its understandable.

Honestly I'm not super familiar with all the micro fish out there to feel comfortable giving you a stocking list. I do know most of them are shyer fish who often need somewhat special feeding ie. not just throwing some flake food in. I'd do a search on google for micro fish, see what catches your eye from those, and then post here with the things you are interested in.

Ones I know just off hand:
Scarlet badis
Peacock gudgeons
Chili Rasbora's
Ember Tetra's
Clown Killifish
any of the Dwarf Pencilfish
Burmese Rosey Loaches

This is just a basic search I did awhile back. I don't remember the exact needs of all these fish so research them.

For shrimp I'd say cherry, which if they breed would also supply shrimplets for your fish to eat.

10 gals is borderline too small for neons let alone apistos. Most fish don't work in a 10 gal, so getting a lot in there is difficult. Your best bet would be to go with the smallest stuff out there. You could actually do a pretty nice little community of nano fish. I would go for about 8 dwarf cories with 10 chili rasbora and 6 ember tetra. If you aren't familiar with these, the chili's for example are the smallest and all 10 together wouldn't make up the body mass of two adult neon tetras. Teeny tiny fish like that are really the only way you can have quantity and keep your water quality good. There are other options out there but many are harder to keep. The three I've mentioned above are not particularly sensitive. Nano fish tend to be shy so a more heavily planted tank is best.

10 gals is borderline too small for neons let alone apistos. Most fish don't work in a 10 gal, so getting a lot in there is difficult. Your best bet would be to go with the smallest stuff out there. You could actually do a pretty nice little community of nano fish. I would go for about 8 dwarf cories with 10 chili rasbora and 6 ember tetra. If you aren't familiar with these, the chili's for example are the smallest and all 10 together wouldn't make up the body mass of two adult neon tetras. Teeny tiny fish like that are really the only way you can have quantity and keep your water quality good. There are other options out there but many are harder to keep. The three I've mentioned above are not particularly sensitive. Nano fish tend to be shy so a more heavily planted tank is best.

Please tell me that you don't mean 8 dwarf cories AND 10 chilies AND 6 embers. That is way too much. You could try 5 dwarf cories and 8 chilies, but that's it

You could go with

8-Celestial Pearl Danios

6-Dwarf Cories

2- Licorice Gouramis(M/F)

I disagree. It's not too much at all IMO. I'm not sure if you have personal experience with these fish, but maybe you aren't realizing just how small they are. Chili's are tiny, as I said all 10 together doesn't equal the body mass of 2 adult neons, and all 6 embers together would equal the body mass of about two neon tetras. So bio-load definitely isn't an issue here, and both groups would have all the swimming room they need. I"m not sure why you feel like the footprint of a 10 gal can accomodate 5 habrosus cories but not 8, but shy cories like the dwarfs will do better and come out of hiding more in a larger group. They are typically wild caught and very shy. I have a 14 gal (same footprint as a 10 but taller) with similar stocking plus an extra group of nanos, and I couldn't possibly call it overstocked. In fact it looks lightly stocked, and only when you really look at the numbers do you realize the quantity in the tank. It's not heavily planted but has a good amount of plants, I do a PWC every couple weeks and the nitrates never exceed 5ppm. Not overstocked by any means.

You could go with

8-Celestial Pearl Danios

6-Dwarf Cories

2- Licorice Gouramis(M/F)
Licorice gourami are gorgeous but a bit more tricky, so if you are more of a beginner I would skip those for now (same for sparkling gourami). CPD's are lovely but they can be pricey and I've only had long term success with them in cooler tanks.

I disagree. It's not too much at all IMO. I'm not sure if you have personal experience with these fish, but maybe you aren't realizing just how small they are. Chili's are tiny, as I said all 10 together doesn't equal the body mass of 2 adult neons, and all 6 embers together would equal the body mass of about two neon tetras. So bio-load definitely isn't an issue here, and both groups would have all the swimming room they need. I"m not sure why you feel like the footprint of a 10 gal can accomodate 5 habrosus cories but not 8, but shy cories like the dwarfs will do better and come out of hiding more in a larger group. They are typically wild caught and very shy. I have a 14 gal (same footprint as a 10 but taller) with similar stocking plus an extra group of nanos, and I couldn't possibly call it overstocked. In fact it looks lightly stocked, and only when you really look at the numbers do you realize the quantity in the tank. It's not heavily planted but has a good amount of plants, I do a PWC every couple weeks and the nitrates never exceed 5ppm. Not overstocked by any means.

If i do 8 dwarf cories with 10 chili rasbora and 6 ember tetra can i put ghost shrimp at the bottom? If i can how many ghost shrimp?

I wouldn't. You could do dwarf shrimp though like RCS or BPS though. Ghosts get way too big and will first of all ruin the sort of nano look you'll have going on. Also I've heard reports of them eating fry (though I've never seen it but I haven't kept ghosts in years) and the chili's are fry size so I wouldn't risk it.

I wouldn't. You could do dwarf shrimp though like RCS or BPS though. Ghosts get way too big and will first of all ruin the sort of nano look you'll have going on. Also I've heard reports of them eating fry (though I've never seen it but I haven't kept ghosts in years) and the chili's are fry size so I wouldn't risk it.

Ok so i can put dwarf shrimp (rca or bps) with 8 dwarf cories with 10 chili rasbora and 6 ember tetra? If so how many?

They will reproduce like crazy so you need to have a plan for the young, but that shouldn't be hard, at the very least you should be able to trade them in at the LFS if you don't have the means to sell them to other hobbyists. Your best bet is to get a little starter colony of 10-20 from another hobbyist (classifieds on the forum, aquabid, ebay). The LFS always charges way too much for dwarf shrimp. You can get really any color morph you want, just stick with the neocaridina species since they are generally easier to keep.

First of all, neon tetras are tiny. Like an inch long, sometimes a bit more. Perhaps you are confused with cardinals, which are twice that. Anyway, I realize that chilies are small, but they are not THAT small. Around half an inch. Secondly, dwarf cories are around an inch long, as are embers. I know that everyone hates the inch per gallon rule, but that is about 20 inches of fish. It is definitely a bit overstocked.

The suggestion of 5 cories was thrown out as an example, but in a 10 gallon tank with fish only their size that are docile, and with adequate cover, they will probably do fine. Maybe this would work better:

- 6 Corydoras Pygmaeus
- 6 Ember tetras
- 6 chili rasboras

With sufficient filtration and water changes that will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom