Unboxing & getting started with my new acrylic tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hunter73

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I've never had an acrylic tank until mine delivered yesterday. I bought the Sea Clear 46 gallon bowfront to use as freshwater. After I took it out of the box I noticed there is no info/instructions on cleaning it. I checked Sea Clear's website...none there either. I'm concerned about the inside really as it had some double sided tape on the inside bottom. I was able to get all of the tape out. What if there is some residue left (I don't see any)? What should I clean it with that's safe? Just warm water?

Also, I can't decide whether to use sand, or gravel. Seems to me cleaning the sand might be more difficult.

Here's the equipment I have for this new 46 gallon:

Fluval 306
Aqueon Pro 150
Current-USA Satellite Pro + LED

Please help me if you can.

Thanks in advance for your time.

You can just clean it with warm/hot water and I think you'll be alright.

Personally I think sand is actually easier to clean as stuff just sits on top of it rather than falling into it like with gravel.

Sand! Sand! I love sand. Will never go back to gravel... Sand it actually really easy to clean. Just hover your siphon hose(or whoever you use) right above the substrate and it will pick it up. Detritus is lighter than sand so it should come right up! It may take a little bit to get used to but it's easy once you get the hang of it ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You should pick up some Novus #1 acrylic polish or Brillianize. They are essentially the same and do a great job of cleaning acrylic and resists smudges and fingerprints.

Some Novus #2 is also handy to have on hand for polishing out any minor scratches/haze.

To prep the tank, rinse it out with some hot water and it should be good to go.

!!!IMPORTANT TIP!!!

As you decorate your tank I VERY strongly recommend you get a sheet of thin, flexible, but sturdy clear plastic that can easily fit/maneuver in your tank.
Place it up against the inside panel of the tank you are closest to when working as a barrier, that way if a rock slips (it happens) and hits the side, you won't get scratches.
Then you can just move it around as you scape the tank and take it out when done. (y)

Trust me, I wish would l have done that when I started to scape my tank...:(

You can just clean it with warm/hot water and I think you'll be alright.

Personally I think sand is actually easier to clean as stuff just sits on top of it rather than falling into it like with gravel.

Sand! Sand! I love sand. Will never go back to gravel... Sand it actually really easy to clean. Just hover your siphon hose(or whoever you use) right above the substrate and it will pick it up. Detritus is lighter than sand so it should come right up! It may take a little bit to get used to but it's easy once you get the hang of it ?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You should pick up some Novus #1 acrylic polish or Brillianize. They are essentially the same and do a great job of cleaning acrylic and resists smudges and fingerprints.

Some Novus #2 is also handy to have on hand for polishing out any minor scratches/haze.

To prep the tank, rinse it out with some hot water and it should be good to go.

!!!IMPORTANT TIP!!!

As you decorate your tank I VERY strongly recommend you get a sheet of thin, flexible, but sturdy clear plastic that can easily fit/maneuver in your tank.
Place it up against the inside panel of the tank you are closest to when working as a barrier, that way if a rock slips (it happens) and hits the side, you won't get scratches.
Then you can just move it around as you scape the tank and take it out when done. (y)

Trust me, I wish would l have done that when I started to scape my tank...:(

Great info, thanks! I went ahead and ordered some CaribSea sand yesterday. You have convinced me!

I'm excited to get this new system up and running. I will get it all cleaned and ready for the new sand this weekend.

I currently only have two Angel fish. I'm looking for opinions on what you would recommend adding with them for this 46 gallon tank. I have been reading up about the options, but I'm more interested in people's opinion that have much more knowledge and experience than me.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've had them four years in a five gallon, and they're still in that. I haven't gotten the new 46 ready yet.

A 5 gallon tank...? Either they are as tall as the tank or seriously stunted..

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I think a 46 gallon is still small for 4 angels. I'd put like 1 (maybe 2) angels in it and get rid of the other 2.

Then get some boesemani rainbowfish, cories, and harlequin rasboras.

I think a 46 gallon is still small for 4 angels. I'd put like 1 (maybe 2) angels in it and get rid of the other 2.

I only have two Angels. Thanks for the info on the other fish. I will check them out. Most of the fish names are still a new language for me. ;)

As a keeper of rainbows and an angel in the same tank, you have to pretty much spot feed the angel or overfeed because the rainbows will steal it all.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom