Uncertain of water changing and feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christinacs

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank: 5.5 Gallons, heated, filter w/ zeolite, 3 small Anubis plants, 1 betta

Tank chemistry after a week of not changing: 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates

The Zeolite successfully removes all detectable Ammonia from my tank, should I treat this like a cycled tank and just do partial water changes? or, since it cannot really cycle due to no ammonia-should I be doing 100% water changes. Also, I've got SO much information from 100% 3x a week to 15% a week I am unsure about what would be best. I am disinclined to do 100% 3x a week because I'm afraid to stress him out. However, on the other side of 15% once a week seems a little low. However, water chemistry seems fine.

Feeding: How do you know if you're feeding too much/too little? I hear recommendations from once a day to 3x a day, sometimes fasting 1/week.

Sorry, I know there are threads on this already- but there is so much mixed information and none (as far as water changes) directly to my question.

IMO, zeolite can keep you from having a cycled tank. If it absorbs all the ammonia like it claims, there's none available for the bacteria. This can cause problems because eventually it gets full. When it does, nothing will be there to take care of the ammonia.

As far as water changes, I would do 50% as needed. I would do it at least once a week though.

Not a betta person, so I can't comment on feeding.

Back
Top Bottom