Undergravel filter opinion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thedavinator

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased an undergravel filter yesterday that I would like to install in my 29 gallon tank. I've heard mixed reviews on it. I'm okay with running the UGF along with the carbon filter I currently have if necessary. I just would like a little more opinion before I put it in there and I can't return it anymore.

Just a little more information on what I'm doing...

When I set up my 29 gallon about a year ago, I decided I wanted to go with sand for a natural look. I realize now what a mistake that was. So, I decided that I'm just going to start over and add some natural-looking gravel to the bottom. I'm prepared to recycle the tank, etc. The algae has become unbearable anyway. It needs a good scrubbing. I've got a 10 gallon that my fish can hang out in (they'll be okay for a few days, right?) while the tank recycles.

Any tips or opinions would be helpful.

I personally don't like under gravel filters, I believe they cause more harm than good in the long run. The first year or so they may work correctly but after that they become clogged with all kinds of stuff underneath. I found it to be too much work to clean under it and decided to remove mine.
I have only ever used mine with the air stone to draw water through it. I imagine it would works lots better if used with a power head but I cannot speak from experience with them.

just remember with a UGF it will clog at some point, and when that happens you will need to tear everything down and clean under them to get the massive amount of stuff it will have trapped in there. UGF was good many many years ago when their were not very many options available but today we have much better choices. I would suggest a good HOB filter, like aquaclear, which will filter your tank much better and much longer then a UGF will.

I agree with the two previous posts. A HOB is a much better option in IMO. Can I ask why you thought the sand was a big mistake??

For years I ran UGFs in my 55. But it wasn't by choice, it was all we had, outside floss filters, and expensive canisters and such. As soon as a cheap newfangled exterior filters hit the market I was first in line! Yes UGFs do work if rigged up with powerheads like I had mine, but eventually the gunk built up underneath forcing full tank cleanings. The vents clog with gravel...they are a pain compared with what is on the market now, hence I will never go back to UGFs for any reason! My frank advice... go with a newer filter!

Back
Top Bottom